Fish curry was always a staple food back home as we get fresh fish any time in the local market but in Bangalore I have to wait for the weekends or some occasions to get some good fish for cooking. Last weekend when myself and hubby were craving for fish we went to a nearby market and got some good fish, so here I am today with the delicious and lip-smacking fish curry.
Anchovies fish curry recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : kuzhambu
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :20 | Serves: 3 |Author :Sharmila
Cleaned Anchovies - ¼ kg
Tamarind lemon sized ball
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 rsp
Turmeric powder 0 1.4 tsp
Salt as needed
To roast and Grind:
Onion – 1
Grated coconut – ¼ cup
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
Curry Leaves a spring
1. In a pan add in a tbsp oil once it heats up add in curry leaves let in splutter and then add in the onions fry till it turns glossy.
2. Next add in tomatoes and coconut fry till the tomatoes are well cooked and then switch off the flame .allow it to cool down.
3. In a blender blend the masala to a fine paste and set it aside. Next in the same pan add in a tbsp. of oil once it heats up add in mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and then add in the shallots and fry well.
4. Now add in the ground masala and then add in tamarind extract and water mix everything well. Next add in Red Chilli powder, Coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Let it come to a boil now add in the cleaned fish.
6. Cover and cook for 5 mins the fish would be done. Open the pan and in a very low flame cook for another 2 mins add in chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Fish curry tastes good with fish fry and steamed rice.
- Tastes good when the curry is prepared and tasted after 5 hours or more as it needs time to enhance the flavours.
- Never skip coconut oil as it is the main flavouring agent.