kala chana recipe or curry is a delicious coconut-based gravy made with channa, and a few other Indian spices, It tastes good with Roti, Poori.
Chickpeas are one of the Legumes which is popular in the Middle East. However, it is commonly used in all cuisines across the world. Chickpeas are rich in protein. Rather than the White chickpeas Black chick Peas or Kala Channa is considered healthier. It is commonly used in Indian Cooking to prepare kurma, Salad, hummus, and many more.
How to prepare black channa curry
1. In a pressure cooker add in Black channa, Salt and Turmeric powder and pressure cook till it is done. It took around 10 whistles for the black channa to get cooked for me. Meanwhile in a Blender add in Coconut, Tomato, and Fennel seeds add little water and grind well to form a fine paste.
- You can also soak the Black channa in hot water for about 30 mins before cooking, In that case it will be cooked easily.
- The kuruma goes well with Poori ,any Indian flat Bread ,appam and Idiyappam. Can also be served with Puttu.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Black Channa Gravy
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 cup Black Channa
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tsp Crushed ginger and garlic
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Tomato medium-sized
- ½ cup Grated coconut – ½ cup
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds- 1 tsp
- In a pressure cooker add in Black channa, Salt, and Turmeric powder and pressure cook till it is done. It took around 10 whistles for the black channa to get cooked for me. Meanwhile in a Blender add in Coconut, Tomato, and Fennel seeds add little water and grind well to form a fine paste.
- In a kadai add in oil once the oil heats up add in Cloves, Cinnamon stick, and bay leaves let them fry and then add in chopped ginger and garlic pastes and fry for a min.
- Next add in chopped onions and tomatoes and fry well till the onions and tomatoes are cooked and then add in the cooked black channa mix well and then add in Chilli powder, Garam Masala Powder, and Salt and mix well fry for about a minute.
- Next add in the ground tomato and coconut puree and the required amount of water simmer and allow it to cook till the gravy consistency is reached.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.