The main taste of the dish comes from the ghee added to it. However, we can substitute oil for ghee but to get the authentic restaurant-style Dal Fry always use ghee J
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Dal Fry | How to make Restaurant style Dal Fry
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Toor dal / Tuvar Dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
- Lemon Half
- Coriander leaves to garnish
To Temper :
- Oil/Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Hing / Asafoetida a generous pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Green Chilli – 1
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- In a pressure cooker add in the tour dal and the required water .cook for about 4 whistles in high flame and 2 whistles in a medium flame or till it is done. Once the pressure is completely released open the cooker and mash it well.
- In a pan heat in Ghee and then add in the ingredients mentioned under “To Temper” table one by one.
- Add in the finely chopped onions and sauté till they are glossy now ad in the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell leaves and then add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
- Now add the mashed dal along with the required water to the pan. Give a good mix. Add the Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Garam Masala, and the required salt.
- Mix well and cook for another 5 mins. Crush the Kasturi Methi leaves and squeeze out the lemon juice and switch off the flame. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
· Tastes good with Rice or Roti.