Drumstick Sambar recipe with step by step photos. Drumstick or Murungakkai is one quintessential veggie when it comes to Sambar. Drumstick when added to this lentil stew gives a delicious flavour and it is so addictive I tell you. Today let’s see how to prepare this tradition drumstick sambar.
Drumstick Sambar | Murungakkai Sambar
- Toor Dal – 1 cup
- Shallots / Small Onions – 10- 12
- Tomato – 1
- Drum Stick – 2
- Tamarind – lemon sized ball
- Sambar powder – 1 ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Oil - 1 tsp
To Temper :
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenu greek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 2
- Hing/ Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Curry leaves a strand
- In a Kadai add in a tsp of oil of this add in chopped small onions and sauté well, next add in the tomatoes .Once it is cooked add in the drumsticks.
- Wash the toor Dal really well and in a pressure cooker cook it for 4 whistles .Once the pressure is completely gone open the cooker and mash the dal and set it aside. Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of water and extract the tamarind water .Add this to the drumsticks in the kadai and continue cooking till the drumsticks are fully done.
- To the mashed dal mixture add the Sambar powder, Turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Now add the cooked dal mixture to the vegetables.
- Give a good mix in a low flame simmer it for 10 mins once it comes to a boil, switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Prepare the seasoning by using the ingredients mentioned in the “To Temper” table and pour the Sambar. Delicious drumstick sambar is now ready to serve.
- Serve this Drumstick sambar with Steamed Rice and any vegetable stir Fry.
- You can also add ghee in this recipe and it gives a nice taste.