A Goan food will be incomplete without a Fish Curry .Indeed it is the cheap food in Goa .We can find plenty and abundant fresh fishes in Goa. I love fish and I like to try different varieties in fish so today lets see how to prepare fish curry in Goan Style.
I have used Red snapper fish (Sankara Meen in Tamil Korameenu in Telugu Chemballi in Malyalam and Tambusa in Hindi ) But any fish can be used for this recipe.
Goan Fish Curry Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Goan | Recipe Category : Gravy
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :15 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
1. In a bowl take the tamarind add in water and extract the tamarind water and set aside
2. In a blender take the ingredients mentioned under the “To grind” section and blend to a fine paste by adding water. Take a kadai and add in oil.
3. Once the oil heats up add in Mustard Seeds, Jeera, Fenugreek seeds and the curry leaves once the splutter add in Finely chopped Shallots and fry till they turn golden brown.
4. Next add in the ground masala and fry for a minute then add Thin Coconut Milk to this add in all the spice powders and Salt.
5. Cook till the mixture comes to a boil
6. Once it start boiling add in the cleaned fish pieces and cook till the fish is cooked .It will take around 8-10 mins .Check for salt and then add finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Served hot with Steamed Rice.
- You can always use water in place of Coconut milk .But addition of coconut milk gives a rich flavour.
- Any Fish can be used for this gravy .I used Red snapper fish.
- You can also replace shallots by Big onions but adding shallots give a nice taste to the fish curry.
- Raw Mangos can be added in fish curry, it will give a nice tangy taste.
- Serve hot with Steamed Rice and Fish Fry.