Malabar Ghee Rice Recipe | Nei Choru with step by step photos .Ghee rice is an exotic festival recipe but can be prepared in less time. Once in a while I prepare this for our lunch boxes. Mostly on Wednesdays I make our lunchboxes a bit grand to overcome the working week blues. It can be prepared in just 30 mins.Usually vegetables except onions are not used in ghee rice but I added a little to make it colourful.
Malabar Ghee Rice Recipe
2. In the remaining ghee fry the cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown and set aisde.In the same pan add in Fennel Seeds, Bay Leaves, Cloves, Cardamom and Star Anise. Fry for a min.
3. Add the sliced onions and green chilli, sauté till they turn slice golden .
4. Remove few onions to garnish and set aside. Next add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
5. Now add the chopped veggies and saute for 2 mins.
6. Next add the ghee roasted basmati Rice, Required Salt and Lemon Juice .Cook for another 2 mins
7. Close the pan and cook till the water is completely absorbed and the rice is cooked. Ghee rice is now ready. Garnish with the caramelized onions and nuts while serving.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 87
Malabar Ghee Rice | Nei Choru
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Basmati Rice – 1cup
- Onion – 3
- Green Chilli – 3
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Chopped Carrot +Beans +Cabbage – 1 cup optional
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves -1
- Star Anise – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom -2
- Salt as needed
- Cashew nut – 4 broken
- Raisins - 4
- Water – 2 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Soak Basmati Rice in Water for 30 mins. Heat ghee in a pan discard the excess water and roast the soaked basmati rice in ghee for 3 mins in a very low flame and set aside.
- In the remaining ghee fry the cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown and set aisde.In the same pan add in Fennel Seeds, Bay Leaves, Cloves, Cardamom and Star Anise. Fry for a min.
- Add the sliced onions and green chilli, sauté till they turn slice golden remove few onions to garnish and set aside. Next add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the chopped veggies and saute for 2 mins.
- Next add the ghee roasted basmati Rice, Required Salt and Lemon Juice .Cook for another 2 mins
- Close the pan and cook till the water is completely absorbed and the rice is cooked. Ghee rice is now ready. Garnish with the caramelized onions and nuts while serving.
My favorite rice to make and pair with chicken curry. But i hardly use any veggies in it, adding veggies in ghee rice makes it more interesting. The rice is perfectly cooked and looks delicious!!!
Very flavorful. My little one loved Ghee rice at a party recently and I am yet to make it for her. Shall try this version for her.
That is a simple yet flavorful and aromatic rice dish. I like your idea of making Wednesday lunch special 🙂 This dish looks easy enough to make on a weekday. Will try it some time.
The name ghee rice kinds of pulls me . I love the flavor of ghee in rice this rice inspite of being no frill ones have something about them which is calling . These would make such a fantastic party rice along with curries .
Great pick !
wow ghee rice with some caramelized onions on top is sinful !! This is perfect for lunch boxes as you said , the moment the lunch box is opened the aroma will travel all over !! very delectable rice recipe there !!
Can smell the flavor of this rice, who will refuse caring this ultimate dish in their lunchbox. Even i feel having this rice in my lunch box.
Such a flavorful rice! My kids will love to have this one !SO apt for the lunchbox.
Perfect lunch to over come that midweek blues. Awesome recipe da. Will try this out.
I usually make it plain, but the addition of veggies and the brown onion garnish gives an amazing flavour to the rice.
This is one of my kids favorite and I make it with tons of raisins as they love the sweetness. Flavorful and simple rice dish which will work with any side dish. Lovely recipe.
While ghee rice is always a simple rice sauteed in ghee for me, this surely sounds fantastic!..very nicely done Sharmila.
There is something in the aroma of ghee rice that makes it more inviting. I guess it is the ghee and all those spices. Your ghee rice looks just perfect to grab from the screen.
I love ghee rice with Kurma - reminds me of wedding receptions, somehow ! this recipe is great for kids lunchboxes
Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen
A simple and rich rice , would love to pair it with a spicy curry! Looks perfect with those fried onions on top!
I love the addition of ghee in rice. This rice preparation is so flavorful and inviting.
The ghee rice sounds so flavorful and that platter looks so inviting that I want to grab it.