Millet appam is a quick snack made with just a few ingredients. It is delicious and can be easily done in 20 mins.
Evening snack is a very common thing. That time after lunch and before dinner, we quickly whip up something to go along with our evening tea.
In India, deep-fried snack options are very popular, especially with Tea. Chips, Samosa, Boondi, Mixture, and many more to more. Similarly sweets as well.
Sharing today a yummy Millet snack made with banana and other few ingredients.
Millet Flour Appam
Millet Flour Appam or Millet Paniyaram or Millet banana appam is a yummy snack made with just 4 basic ingredients. All it needs is just 10 to 15 mins from start to end.
The overripe banana tastes best in the appam.No special devices are required. Just mix all the ingredients and fry. A very easy and delicious tea-time snack.
Ingredients for Millet Appam
Use any variety of overripe bananas. They will be easy to mash and delicious for this recipe. I used Nendran Variety banana. Make sure you get around 1 cup of mashed banana.
All the Millet flours go well for this recipe. I have already tried Foxtail Millet and Kodo Millet flour for this recipe. It works well. You may also use Ragi Flour.
Use powdered Jaggery or Country sugar for this recipe. If your banana is not that sweet increase the amount of Jaggery used. So adjust the sweetness as you like.
Cardamom powder gives an exquisite flavor and hence it's a must-add in the recipe.
How to prepare Millet Banana Appam
1) In a mixing bowl add in the ripe banana. Mash it well with the fork such that the banana is completely mashed.
2) To this add in the Powdered Jaggery or Country sugar.
3) Next add in the Cardamom powder
4) Also add in a pinch of salt and a pinch of cooking soda. Adding cooking soda is optional you can skip if you do not prefer. Yet do not miss salt as it elevates the flavors.
5) Combine everything together and then add in the Millet flour in batches.
6) Combine well if the mixture is very dry sprinkle in little water.
7) Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying. I used Idhayam Groundnut oil. Once the oil is hot pinch in small balls and deep fry in medium flame.
8) Fry till the appam is golden and fully cooked. Millet Banana Appam is ready.
Tips to Prepare Millet uniappam
- Always use overripe bananas.
- Mash the banana completely and then use
- You can use any variety of Millet flour. I have tried this recipe with Little Millet and Kodo Millet flour.
- The addition of cooking soda is optional. It gives extra softness to the appam, You can skip if you don't want to add.
- Add flour little by little and knead the dough.
- Add water only if it's required.
Variations in the Millet Appam
- You can alter the flour and try it with different Millets.
- Instead of banana Jackfruit puree, you may also use jackfruit puree.
- And instead of jaggery you may definitely try adding Palm Jaggery (karupatti) or Country Sugar (Naatu sarkarai.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Millet Appam | Millet Banana Appam
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 Banana Large
- ¼ cup Jaggery
- Salt a pinch
- Cooking Soda a pinch (optional)
- 1 cup Millet Flour I used Little Millet Flour
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- Oil as needed for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl add in the ripe banana. Mash it well with the fork such that the banana is completely mashed.
- To this add in the Powdered Jaggery or Country sugar.
- Next add in the Cardamom powder
- Also add in a pinch of salt and a pinch of cooking soda. Adding cooking soda is optional you can skip if you do not prefer. Yet do not miss salt as it elevates the flavors.
- Combine everything together and then add in the Millet flour in batches.
- Combine well if the mixture is very dry sprinkle in little water.
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying. Once the oil is hot pinch in small balls and deep fry in medium flame.
- Fry till the appam is golden and fully cooked. Millet Banana Appam is ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.