Pumpkin Casserole is a sweet pumpkin pudding made with pumpkin puree. It is slow-cooked in the oven along with a crumble topping until its set and baked to golden.
It's not even the fall season, It's almost winter even then why am I posting fall recipes. Hope this runs in your head. Actually, I made this during thanksgiving this year. But I waited and posting it for our bakethon.
Wonder what is Bakethon. Scroll down to the post and check 😉
Every year during the fall season, I will be determined to post a few pumpkin recipes. Somehow I miss it. But this November we had a trip to Bangalore and on the way back to Chennai I saw some fresh pumpkins. How will I miss .. I grabbed two good golden pumpkins. And I am all ready to feast with it.
The first thing I did is a big batch of pumpkin puree and froze it. Since then I am trying some recipes which were in my head for a longer time. Earlier I posted Pumpkin bread and today it is Pumpkin Casserole. More recipes to follow.
Now let's see how to prepare Pumpkin Casserole.
What is Casserole
Casserole refers to a type of food that is slow-cooked in the oven. Again Casserole is the name of the vessel. It is a large deep bowl or pan usually used in the oven for cooking. We use the same pan for both as well as serving.
Often casserole is a spicy dish. It may have some type of protein like meat or even vegetables topped with cheese. But these days sweet casserole is also getting popular.
Especially during the thanksgiving days, casserole or pies definitely makes their presence on the table.
- We will need Pumpkin Puree. you can use either homemade or Store bough. If using homemade keep it ready.
- I have a detailed post on how to prepare homemade Pumpkin Puree, take a look to prepare your batch.
- We need Room Temperate Soft butter. So keep it outside the fridge for 20 to 30 mins. Not more than that.
- Grease a casserole with butter and keep it ready.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Casserole
Pumpkin puree is the soul of the casserole. Always use good quality if using store-bought tin. If using homemade use fresh puree with less moisture.
Arrowroot powder is the main thickening agent. It is a mandatory ingredient. Since we have not added eggs, arrowroot powder is not to be skipped. However, we can replace Arrowroot powder with cornflour.
Instead of 1 tbsp of Arrowroot powder, we can add 2 tbsp of Corn flour.
Pumpkin spices always add a nice punch to the dish. I add Cinnamon powder, Nutmeg powder to almost all my pumpkin dishes. The aroma it gives when combined with pumpkin is a pleasure. We can also use cloves powder along. We can also use store-bough pumpkin spice powder instead.
Butter gives a nice glossy casserole, so it definitely adds or enhances the dish. Use room temperature soft unsalted butter.
Crumble topping is usually made of butter, flour, and sugar .. We then use some nuts for the crunch. The crumble along with the pumpkin makes a yummy delight. Feel free to customize the nuts as per your preference and availability. I used Almonds and Pistachios.
Tips to bake the perfect Casserole
The casserole is a slow-cooked dish we will cook for a minimum of 1 hour. First, bake the pumpkin layer till it's almost set, and then bake along with the crumble topping.
The entire casserole will be set. It will not be runny. The casserole will be thick and set once it is cooked perfectly. Try using a glass casserole for baking. We can check the doneness with that easily.
How to prepare Pumpkin Casserole, Pictorial
1) In a mixing bowl add in the Pumpkin Puree and the Brown Sugar.
2 ) Next add in the Cinnamon powder and the Nutmeg Powder.
3) Also add in the Vanilla extract, Milk, and the Tapioca or the Arrowroot flour. Using a hand blender beat everything until it is creamy and well blended.4) Grease a 5 inch round casserole with butter. To this add the prepared batter. Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C and bake at 180 Deg C for about 30 mins or until the mixture is slightly thick. 5 ) While it's baking next let's prepare the crumb topping. In another mixing bowl add in the add purpose flour and soft butter.
6) Using the fingers rub the flour and butter together such that it resembles grainy.
7) Next add in the Brown Sugar, cinnamon powder, Baking powder, and Nuts.
8) Combine everything and keep it ready.
9) After 30 mins remove the casserole from the oven. Add the prepared crumble topping above the pumpkin layer and spread evenly.
10) Now bake for another 25 to 30 mins or until the top crusts become light golden brown.
Makes the best thanksgiving dessert. Perfect for an after-meal dish or Party.
How to Store Pumpkin Casserole
Try finishing the dish in one go after baking. Freezing is not advised. However, you can put the leftover casserole in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can assemble the casserole and freeze it before baking. But not after it's cooked.
Variations to Pumpkin Casserole
Sweet potatoes have a similar texture to pumpkin you can replace pumpkin puree with mashed sweet potatoes. It makes a great dish. Apart from that, we can customize the crumble topping.
- OTG Oven
- Hand Blender
For the Crumb
- ⅓ cup All purpouse Flour
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ cup Nuts I used Almonds & Pistachios
- In a mixing bowl add in the Pumpkin Puree and the Brown Sugar
- Next add in the Cinnamon powder and the Nutmeg Powder
- Also add in the Vanilla extract, Milk, and the Tapioca or the Arrowroot flour. Using a hand blender beat everything until it is creamy and well blended.
- Grease a 5 inch round casserole with butter. To this add the prepared batter. Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C and bake at 180 Deg C for about 30 mins or until the mixture is slightly thick.
- While it's baking next let's prepare the crumb topping. In another mixing bowl add in the add purpose flour and soft butter.
- Using the fingers rub the flour and butter together such that it resembles grainy.
- Next add in the Brown Sugar, cinnamon powder, Baking powder, and Nuts.
- Combine everything and keep it ready.
- After 30 mins remove the casserole from the oven. Add the prepared crumble topping above the pumpkin layer and spread evenly.
- Now bake for another 25 to 30 mins or until the top crusts become light golden brown.
- Use any nuts of your choice for baking.
- Bake until the crumble topping is golden.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.