Rama Upma a very popular Indian breakfast made with sooji or semolina. Makes a filling and yummy breakfast.
1. In a pan dry roast the Rava/sooji until you get a nice aroma make sure not to burn or change the colour of rava. Roast in a low flame and then remove it from the pan and set aside.
2. In another pan heat oil let it heat up add Mustard Seeds ,Urad Dal and Channa Dal let ,next add hing cashew nuts Green chilli and Curry Leaves. Saute for a min and then add in chopped onions saute till glossy and then add in the measured water.
3. Add salt and bring it to a rolling boil next add the roasted rava and mix well.
4. Keep cooking till the rava is completely cooked it will be done in less than 5 mins.Finally add the grated coconut and mix well.
Serve with coconut chutney or just sugar
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 87
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Rava / Sooji – ½ cup
- Onion – 1
- Water – 1 ½ cups
- Salt as needed
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Hing a pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – ½ tsp
- Channa Dal – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5 broken
- Green Chilli – 2
- Curry Leaves a spring
- In a pan dry roast the Rava/sooji until you get a nice aroma make sure not to burn or change the colour of rava. Roast in a low flame and then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- In another pan heat oil let it heat up add Mustard Seeds ,Urad Dal and Channa Dal let ,next add hing cashew nuts Green chilli and Curry Leaves. Saute for a min and then add in chopped onions saute till glossy and then add in the measured water. Add salt and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Now add the roasted rava and mix well.
- Keep cooking till the rava is completely cooked it will be done in less than 5 mins.Finally add the grated coconut and mix well.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
My go-to breakfast recipe. I love it because it can be done in under 15 minutes. This no veggie version sounds good too.
I love Upma and make it almost in the same manner...but I have never used coconut in it, which I am sure must be tasting amazing. This is such a comfort breakfast..in fact I like to have it for any meal.
Though most of my family run away from upma, it is my fav breakfast. I make a small amount of it just for me and used to enjoy it a lot. Your upma is just making me crave for some right now..
wow rava upma looks so delicious and perfect texture, Even a simple upma needs some skills to make, grated coconut in upma sounds very interesting dear!! am drooling here !!
This is a go to breakfast when I am out of dosa batter! NEver added coconut to it. Will do the next time I make it,
I almost prepare the same way and love to add grated coconut in my upma. It looks yummy and the texture is awesome!!!
One of the favourite breakfast of mine, but i have some upma haters at home. However its my fav dish. Adding grated coconut looks fabulous.
So nicely presented sharmila, such a staple food and favorite too! guess we all start with not liking it, then progress to liking it when we become mothers..hehehe..
Classic anytime ! for all the upma haters out there, I am an eternal upma lover, and like most forms of uoma (as long as its made well !) .. grated coconut on top reminds me of grandmom who always used to add it..
Love your presentation Sharmila. Upma is such a easy to make dish. I don't make it often enough though 🙁 You are tempting me to try your version some time soon.
Not only for breakfast, even for dinner, I opt for this. Simply love it. Idli, dosai upma ellama enna panaradu.
I usually make upma for dinner and add loads of vegetables to it. However have not added coconut to it.. next time will do so.
I love this classic breakfast more than anything in the busy mornings. Can make you feel satisfy through out afternoon.
Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen
One of my favorite breakie! I would love hot upma with some chutney anytime!!
This is the easiest breakfast to make in the morning and is very popular. I am guilty of not making it often as I am not a big fan of upma.
I love it though some frown upon the simple, mundane dish. Quickly made and filling one.
Upma is one of mine fav dish specially in breakfast.. very healthy and comforting food.