Sabudana Vada or Sago Vada or Javvarisi vadai is a popular Maharashtrian snack made mostly during the fasting days or even as a snack.
Sabudana Vada is a no onion no garlic snack. It is prepared with Tapioca pearls, Boiled potatoes, and roasted peanuts.
When I say fasting days, it is during the Navratri or Maha Shivratri days. As sago is rich in carbohydrates it tends to keep us full for a longer duration and hence it's apt for the fasting days.
Needless to say it a yummy tea time snack, it goes very well with chai, green chutney, or tomato ketchup.
As it’s a popular fasting dish Sabudana vada is vegan and gluten-free. It is prepared from plant products and hence it's vegan friendly. since no flour is used it is gluten-free as well.
What is Sago:
Sago is a product made from the milk of tapioca or Cassava plant. It is a small spherical. Sago is loaded with starch. It is also called as Tapioca pearls, Sabudana, or Javvarisi in Tamil.
Sabudana can be used in various recipes. From Sweets to savories, Snacks, and Many more.
Types of Sago:
Common varieties are the Soaked Sabudana and Nylon Sabudana.
How long should sabudana be soaked for Vada:
This is the most important step in vada preparation. The sabudana needs to be soaked overnight to get soft nonsticky sabudana. I don’t follow any measurements while soaking the sabudana.
If you take one cup of sabudana in a bowl, add water such that the sabudana is completely immersed in water. The next day the water will be absorbed completely, and the sago will turn soft.
If you press the sago in between your fingers it should soft and break easily.
Why does sabudana vada break-in oil:
If the sago is not mixed well with the potato there is a chance that the sago vada might break when dropped in hot oil.
Always make sure you mash the sago and potato is mixes and mashes well. Make sure you give some time before you flip and cook the vada, or it might again break.
Just a bare minimal ingredient and we get an extremely taste and delicious snack. Sabudana khichdi is another popular fasting dish. I will share that recipe next.
Healthy Sabudana Vada:
The most common method of preparing the sago vadai is by deep-frying. But you can also prepare it in an air fryer, Appe pan or in Oven.
Today I’m sharing the baked version of vada as well.
Similar Sago Recipes in blog:
How to prepare Sago Vada in Oven, Baked Sabudana Vada:
You can bake the sabudana vada in an oven as well.
Preheat the oven at 200 Deg C for about 10 min and then bake at 200 Deg C for about 30 min.
Make sure you brush it with oil and bake. Flip and bake the vada after every 10 mins.
Bakes vada appears a little pale in color compared to the deep-fried ones. Other than that it has no much difference. Make sure you eat it hot.
How to prepare Sago Vada / Sabudana Vada:
Sago Vada, Sabudana Vada is prepared by mixing soaked sabudana pearls with boiled potato, crushed peanuts, green chili, coriander leaves, and salt. Mix and mash well to a dough.
Shape the vada from the prepared dough and then deep fry of bake till it's cooked and crisp.
Ingredients for Sago Vada:
Sago / Sabudana:
I am using a Nylon variety of Sabudana and I soak the sabudana overnight. Make sure it turns soft and then use it to prepare the vada.
Potato is used for binding the vada and holding its shape. To boil the potatoes till soft either in a pressure cooker or in an open pot and the use.
Roast the peanuts until it's crunchy and then grind to a fine or coarse powder as needed and then use it in the vada. Peanuts give a nice taste to the vada. So make sure you do not skip it.
You can also add more peanuts than the mentioned quantity as you prefer.
How to prepare Sabudana Vada with step by step pictures!!
1.In a mixing bowl add in the Sabudana , to this add in water such that the sabudana is completely soaked. Allow it to soak overnight or up to 8 hours.
2.In a mixing bowl add in the soaked Sabudana and then to this add boiled and mashed potatoes.
3. Mash the potatoes and mix well with the hand such that the potatoes and sago blend well.To this add in the crushed peanuts powder.
4. Next, add in the sliced green chili and coriander leaves.
5. To this add in the Sugar, required Salt and Cumin Seeds.
6. Finally, add in the Lemon Juice and mix well such that it comes together.
7. Pinch in a small part and shape the vadas.
8. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Any cooking oil can be used. I used peanut oil.
9. Once the oil is hot drop in the shaped vada and deep fry in medium flame. After 1 minute flip and cook the vadas and then cook well it’s crispy and cooked.
10. Sabudana vada is now ready. Serve hot with Chutney and Chai.
Sabudana Vada | Sago Vada | Javvarisi vadai
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Sabudana
- ½ cup Potato Boiled and Mashed
- ½ cup Peanuts roasted and crushed
- 2 Green Chilli
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Cooking Oil as needed for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl add in the Sabudana , to this add in water such that the sabudana is completely soaked. Allow it to soak overnight or up to 8 hours.
- In a mixing bowl add in the soaked Sabudana and then to this add boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and mix well with the hand such that the potatoes and sago blend well.
- To this add in the crushed peanuts powder.
- Next, add in the sliced green chili and coriander leaves.
- To this add in the Sugar, required Salt and Cumin Seeds.
- Finally, add in the Lemon Juice and mix well such that it comes together.
- Pinch in a small part and shape the vads.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Any cooking oil can be used. I used peanut oil.
- Once the oil is hot drop in the shaped vada and deep fry in medium flame. After 1 minute flip and cook the vadas and then cook well it's crispy and cooked.
- Sabudana vada is now ready. Serve hot with Chutney and Chai.
- Make sure you wash the sabudana twice or thrice before soaking in water. Just to wash away the starch in it.
- After soaking the sago overnight press, it in between your fingers. It should be soft, and you will be able to press it easily.
Leave a Reply