Set dosa is a soft, spongy, porous pancake. It is slightly thick and usually served as a set of three. Tastes best with chutney and sambar or vada curry.
Set Dosa | Sponge Dosa | How to make Set Dosa in home Cake with step by step pictures. Set Dosa is very popular in the small breakfast joints in Karnataka. It is usually served in sets of 3 or 4 along with some getti chutney (Thick coconut Chutney).
In Tamil Nadu is it usually served along with Vada Curry. It is very soft and so can be called Sponge Dosa. It is usually carried during travel and served along with Puli Chutney(I will share the recipe soon).
If you are using the batter for only 1 or 2 days you can add curd while preparing the batter, otherwise, you can skip adding curd. As adding curd gives nice pours dosa but may turn the batter sour if used for more days. Now let's see how to prepare Set Dosa.
How to prepare Set dosa
1. Wash the Idli Rice and Urad Dal well. Soak Idli Rice, Urad Dal, Poha, and fenugreek seeds together in a bowl for 4-5 hours. In a mixie or grinder grind everything together to form a smooth batter. While grinding adds curd and water and grind. Allow the ground batter to ferment for 12 hours or overnight. Before cooking mix the batter well and add in the required salt and necessary water and bring it to dosa batter consistency. Heat a dosa Tawa . Take a ladle full of batter don’t spread much. Drizzle oil on the sides.
2. Cover and cook for a few secs. It will get nice pores. Flip and then cook till done. Serve hot.
Yummy set dosa.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me
Set Dosa | Sponge Dosa
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Idli Rice – 1 cup
- Urad Dal – ¼ cup
- Aval / Poha – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water as needed to grind the batter
- Oil to drizzle on the sides on the dosa.
- Wash the Idli Rice and Urad Dal well. Soak Udli Rice, Urad Dal, Poha and fenugreek seeds together in a bowl for 4-5 hours.
- In a mixie or grinder grind everything together to form a smooth batter. While grind add curd and water and grind.
- Allow the ground batter to ferment for 12 hours or overnight.
- Before cooking mix the batter well and add in the required salt and necessary water and bring it to dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a dosa tawa .Take a ladle full of batter don’t spread much.Drizzle oil on the sides.
- Cover and cook for few secs.It will get the nice pores.Flip and then cook till done. Serve hot.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2017. I have updated with a new Recipe card, Pictures ,and video now.