Tiffin Sambar Recipe with step by step photos. Be it any restaurant for breakfast most of the dishes are paired with sambar and Chutney. Tiffin Sambar is a flavorful version made with Moong Dal and usually paired with Pongal, dosa or Idli. It is so simple and easy to prepare. Usually we don’t add any vegetables in this sambar but however Carrot or Potato can be added if you prefer. Now let’s see how to prepare restaurant style Tiffin Sambar.
1. In a pressure cooker add in the Moong dal along with Onion, tomato and the required water .Cook for about 4 whistles in Medium flame or till it is done.
Tiffin Sambar | Moong Dal Sambar
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
To Temper :
- Oil/Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Hing / Asafoetida a generous pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Green Chilli – 1
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- In a pressure cooker add in the Moong dal along with Onion, tomato and the required water .Cook for about 4 whistles in Medium flame or till it is done.
- Once the pressure is completely released open the cooker and mash it well.
- Add in Sambar powder, Chilli powder, Turmeric powder and salt add little water if it is too thick and mix well .Heat a pan with oil. To this add Mustard Seeds, Cumin seeds and hing.
- Next add in Dry Red Chili and Curry Leaves .Let tit splutter and then add in the Dal mixture. Give a good mix and check for salt and spice add it anything is less. Let it cook for 5 mins in a medium flame. When it starts boiling switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.