Tomato Dal or tomato pappu is a healthy lentil dish made with yellow lentils , tomatoes and tamarind.
Dal is one of the most loved food ingredient across India .Be it Curry or Subzi or in any form it is widely used in Indian Cooking. Dal is rich in protein and it is consumed for a Vegetarian Balanced Diet.
How to prepare Tomato Dal
- If you prefer it even tangier add in Tamarind water.
- Tastes best when topped with ghee.
- Serve hot with Steamed Rice and any Fry.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Tomato Dal | Tomat Pappu
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Pressure Cooker
- Tour Dal – ½ cup
- Tomato – 2
- Green Chilli – 2
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Hing as needed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds -1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Grated ginger and garlic – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 3
- Wash the tour dal and then in a pressure cooker add in the toor dal. Also add Tomatoes, Green Chilli and Hing and the required water.
- Pressure cook for about 6 whistles or till the Dal is fully cooked. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and then open the cooker.
- Open the cooker and mash the Dal well. Next add in Turmeric powder, salt and water if required mix everything well.
- In a tempering pan add in oil once it heats up add in Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds. Let it splutter then add in grated ginger and garlic ,Dry Red Chilli and Curry leaves fry everything well and pour it into the cooked Dal.
- Cook the dal for another 10 mins in medium flame .Mix everything well and switch off the flame. Garnish with a tsp of Ghee and close the vessel till served.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.