Ven Pongal or Ghee Pongal is a famous and traditional South Indian Dish. Breakfast menu in all the hotels contains this amazing dish
Ven Pongal | Ghee Pongal Recipe with step by step photos. Ven Pongal | White Pongal | Khara Pongal is a famous and traditional South Indian Dish. The breakfast menu in all the hotels contains this amazing dish. I have shared my mother's recipe below. Try this easy, yummy, and healthy recipe.
How to prepare Ven Pongal
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Ven Pongal | White Pongal | Khara Pongal
- 1 cup Rice
- ½ cup Moong Dal
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 tsp Moong Dal
- 2 Chilli
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 10 Cashew
- Salt as needed
- 2¾ cup Water
- Clean and Rinse rice and moong dhal in a vessel.
- Add 2 ¾ cups of water and ¼ cup of milk to the rinsed rice and moong dal. Add salt to it.
- Keep it in a pressure cooker in medium flame. Wait for 4 whistles and then keep it in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Wait for the pressure to release. In the mean time the masala can be prepared. Take the pepper and cumin seeds and crush them coarsely. Chop the ginger to fine pieces and cut the chilli into two pieces
- Heat kadai in low flame and add ghee to it. Add the cashews, ginger, curry leaves, chilli and the coarsely crushed pepper and cumin seeds to it and roast them slightly.
- Once the pressure releases take the rice and moong dhal from the pressure cooker. It should be of the below consistency.
- Mix the roasted cashews and masala with the rice and moong dal. Hot, tasty Ven Pongal is ready
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.