Puli Kulambu’s are my absolute favourite .i mostly love anything with a tangy flavour and this love towards tanginess tends me to try different puli kuzhamu’s .My hubby who is a picky veggie eater hence I try to indulge veggies to his food in a different way and this is one such successful trail.
Check out the other Kuzhambu/Gravy recipes..
Methi puli kuzhambu Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Gravy/Kuzhambu
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :20 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Methi Vendhaya Keerai – ½ cup (Finely chopped)
Onion – 1 medium sized or Shallots – 12-15
Tomato - 1
Garlic- 8 pods
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Red Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
1. In a cooking pan add in oil once the oil becomes hot add in Mustard seeds ,let it splutter then add in Garlic pods and Curry Leaves .Let it cook for a minute.
2. Next add in the chopped onions or shallots and fry it till it turns glossy next add in tomato and cook till it becomes mushy.
3. Add in finely chopped vendhaya keerai/Methi and cook till it shrinks and then add in the tamarind water extracted out of the tamarind.
4. Add in all the spice powders and salt check of salt and spicy and cook till the oil floats on the top of the Gravy. Serve hot with Steamed Rice.
- You can replace the Spice powders with just 2 tsp of Sambar powder.
- Use Gingelly oil for a nice flavour however other oil can also be used
- Serve hot with Steamed Rice and any Spicy Roast.
- Use fresh Methi leaves otherwise the gravy might tend to be better.
- A Small piece of Jaggery can also be used in the gravy.