Nendran Banana Chips | Ethakka Upperi | Kerala Banana Chips
Nendran Banana Chips or Ethakka Upperi is a deep fried raw banana snack that is usually has a snack .
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 Raw Banana
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Water
- Coconut oil as needed for deep frying
Peel the skin of the raw banana , using a peeler or a knife.
Using a slicer , Slice the Banana into thin slices.
In a bowl add Water , To this add Salt and Turmeric powder and mix well until the Salt dissolves and the turmeric powder combines well with the Water and set them aside.
Heat Coconut oil in a kadai for deep frying . Wait till the oil is hot and then add in the sliced bananas.
Keep cooking in a low medium flame. Once the "sshhh" sounds get reduced . Add the Turmeric and Salt Water. Add about 1 to 1.5 tsp of the Water
Slowly the banana chips get the beautiful yellow colour. When the bubbles and sounds completely stopped the Chips will be cooked.
Take out from the oil and drain in Paper towels to remove the excess oil. Continue to the other batches of the chips.
Delicious Kerala Style banana Chips are now ready .
- Always use Raw banana for preparing the chips.
- Adjust the salt and turmeric powder needed as per the amount of chips you are cooking .
- For cooking the second batch of the chips less salt and turmeric powder needs to be added as the oil will already have Salt and Turmeric powder.
- Allow it to cool down and then store in air tight containers.
- If you cant find a slicer , Use a good knife and slice the banana into thin Strips.
- If you are not able to source coconut oil , you can very well use and flavourless cooking oil for deep frying.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.8g | Protein: 0.7g | Fat: 37.7g | Saturated Fat: 32.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 873mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 7.2g | Calcium: 5mg