Instant Pot black beans are easy to cook and store. It comes in handy and is much better than the store bought ones or canned beans. It is freezer friendly and saves a lot of cooking time. Can easily accommodate the black beans as a part of meal prep and happily enjoy cooking for weeks.
Black beans are rich in antioxidants. They help in reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a good source of calcium, fiber, plant based protein, and Folate. These beans are more commonly used in Latin American or Mexican cuisine.
Black Beans - Use good quality new beans. Old beans may take even more time and may not cook evenly.
Seasonings - I am using a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, paprika, and salt. You can skip all and add only salt if you use it for other recipes. After cooking you may have to add more salt and adjust the taste
Soaking Black Beans
When it comes to cooking the beans in Instant Pot soaking is not necessary. I have tried cooking both soaked and unsoaked beans. On the days when I forget to soak the beans, I cook directly in Instant Pot without soaking.
Soaked black beans cook evenly and they have a great texture and flavor compared to unsoaked beans.
Is it necessary to soak the black beans?
Black beans cook perfectly even without coking the beans. Just that the cooking time differs. Cook 25 mins for firmer beans followed by a natural pressure release. Or cook 30 mins for softer beans followed by a natural pressure release.
How to use cooked black beans?
You may use black beans in a variety of recipes. It goes well in salads, sandwiches, and burrito bowls. You can also make some refried beans, quesadillas, and many more.
How to make Instant Pot Black Beans
1.Wash and soak the black beans in water overnight. Drain the excess water and add the soaked black beans to the Instant Pot.
2. Add Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Roasted cumin powder, and salt.
3. Combine everything and add 3 cups of water.
4. Close the Instant Pot. Move the pressure value to the sealing position. Set 8 mins in high pressure for firm cooked beans, Set 10 mins for more softly cooked beans. Wait for a natural release and then open the Instant Pot.
5. Black beans are cooked buttery soft. Drain and discard the excess water. Sprinkle salt if needed and serve. Instant Pot Black beans are ready to serve.
Tips & Variations
- It is very important that you use fresh beans. Older beans take a long take to cook and may not cook evenly.
- There may be excess water in the pot after the beans are cooked, you can discard or drain them and use them.
- The salt might be on the lower side since we discard the water after cooking and hence add as required.
- We can use the cooked beans for a variety of dishes. This is definitely a good method rather than using canned beans. Healthy and economical indeed.
If you are serving the black beans as such you may use all the spice powders and cook. Or if you need plain beans just cook with water and salt. You may use the cooked beans in salads, and sandwiches or can have them as it is.
Storing & Freezing Options
You can cool the cooked beans and store them in the fridge for 3 days. Store in airtight containers or zip locks and freeze them for 3-4 months.
More Instant Pot Recipes
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Instant Pot Black Beans
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Instant Pot 6 Qz
- 16 oz Black Beans approximately 2½ cups
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Paprika Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt or as needed
- 2 cups Water
- Wash and soak the black beans in water overnight. Drain the excess water and add the soaked black beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika , Roasted cumin powder, and salt.
- Combine everything and add 3 cups of water.
- Close the Instant Pot. Move the pressure value to the sealing position. Set 8 mins in high pressure for firm cooked beans, Set 10 mins for more softly cooked beans. Wait for a natural release and then open the Instant Pot.
- Black beans are cooked buttery soft. Drain and discard the excess water. Sprinkle salt if needed and serve
- Instant Pot Black beans are ready to serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.