Instant Pot Hot Chocolate is a cozy warm winter drink with the best cocoa and chocolate together. It is an easy way to whip hot chocolate in minutes.
Hot Chocolate is undoubtedly the most favorite winter drink. It is a typical comfort drink in a mug for the cold winter.
The best thing about Instant Pot Hot Chocolate is that it gets ready in minutes plus it keeps the drink warm. No need to re heat them as and when you serve.
What is Hot Chocolate ?
Hot Chocolate also knows as hot cocoa drink or drinking chocolate. If you are a chocolate lover definitely this is for you. The history of the drink dates back to the BC years. Since then it was in use.
However it became popular in 19th century in Europe and Mexico. After that it is almost prepared in all parts of the world. Every place has its own variations and differences. But the base of the drink remains the same.
Whipped cream and mash mellows are the most popular toppings for hot chocolate.
Cocoa Powder - Use good premium quality un sweetened cocoa powder.
Milk - I prefer using full fat milk for a creamier drink. Use Oat milk for Vegan version.
Heavy Cream- Use unsweetened heavy cream. Dont replace heavy ream with whipped cream here.
Sugar - Added for sweetness. You may use white or brown.
Vanilla extract - added for flavor and an amazing punch.
Chocolate chips - For an extra chocolate flavor.
Toppings - Use any toppings as per your preference. I used grated chocolate , mash mellows. You can also use whipped cream, sprinkles ,Candy.
Lets make the best use of the keep warm feature of the Instant Pot here. Plug in the Instant Pot and leave it on keep warm mode until you serve. With this feature no need to reheat the hot chocolate as and when you serve it stays warm.
If you do not have Instant Pot you can very well prepare hot chocolate recipe in stove top in a sauce pan. Check this post for stove top hot chocolate.
Hot Cocoa and hot chocolate are hot beverages prepared with similar ingredients. The preparation is almost similar but ingredients vary a bit.
Here in hot chocolate we use real chocolate along with cocoa powder in hot cocoa we use cocoa powder and no chocolate.
Comparatively hot cocoa is thinner and hot chocolate is slightly thicker.
How to make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
1.In a mixing bowl add sugar and cocoa powder.
2. Whisk them together until combined without any lumps.
3. Switch on Instant Pot in saute mode. Add Water, whisked sugar and cocoa powder.
4. Whisk them together until combined. Cook in saute mode until the mixture thickens.
5. Next add milk and cream. Whisk them gently until they combine. Cook for few mins until the milk and cream warms. Do not let them to boil though.
6. Finally add chocolate chips or chocolate as you desire and turn the instant pot to warm mode.
7. Let the Instant Pot stay in warm mode until you serve. Seve hot chocolate with your favorite toppings.
Delicious hot chocolate in the instant pot is now ready to serve.
Tips & Variations
Use the Keep warm function of the Instant Pot. This helps the hot chocolate to stay warm until you serve. No need to re heat every time.
Top hot chocolate with whipped cream, mash mellow, sprinkles, Candy or as you prefer.
Preparing Instant Pot Hot chocolate is ideal for a party or any dinner day. It stays warm until you serve.
Use full fat milk for a creamy hot chocolate.
You can store the left over hot chocolate in mason jars for up to 3 days in fridge.
This is a basic vanilla flavored hot chocolate. You can add more flavors to hot chocolate as you prefer. Cinnamon, ginger bread, caramel , peppermint all works well.
Always add the toppings only before serving.
For Vegan hot chocolate replace milk with Oat milk and use any dairy free chocolate and vegan heavy cream.
Stays good in the fridge for up to 3 says. Do not recommend freezing as it has milk.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Instant Pot
- 4 cups Milk
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ⅓ cup Water
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Grated Chocolate for garnish
- Marshmellow for garnish
- In a mixing bowl add sugar and cocoa powder.
- Whisk them together until combined without any lumps.
- Switch on Instant Pot in saute mode. Add Water, whisked sugar and cocoa powder.
- Whisk them together until combined. Cook in saute mode until the mixture thickens.
- Next add milk and cream. Whisk them gently until they combine. Cook for few mins until the milk and cream warms. Do not let them to boil though.
- Finally add chocolate chips or chocolate as you desire and turn the instant pot to warm mode.
- Let the Instant Pot stay in warm mode until you serve. Seve hot chocolate with your favorite toppings.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.