Fruit cake is often served during Christian weddings and Christmas. The preparation of this fruit cake indicates the Christmas season.
The specialty of this cake is the addition of fruits. Usually, a combination of dry fruits is being used. Raisins, Sultanas, Tutti frutti, Candied peeled orange, Dates, Apricots, Walnuts, Almonds, Cashew nuts.
Any nuts and dry fruits can be used. Usually, the nuts and dry fruits are soaked in Rum. The more the days they are soaked the tastier it is. I have soaked it for about 7 months.
You can even soak 2 days or about 2 weeks. Those who don’t want to soak in Rum can replace it will orange juice. However, the authentic way of preparing the Christmas fruit cake is by soaking the dry fruits in Rum.
How to Prepare Xmas Fruit Cake
Now it’s time to enjoy your cake 🙂 Please do try let us know your comments. We value your thoughts.Thanks for your time 🙂
Xmas | Christams Fruit cake | Christmas Plum cake
- 1½ cup Mixed Dry Fruits
- ½ cup Rum/Brandy
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ tbsp Water
- ⅛ cup Warm water
- 1 cup All Purpouse flour | Maida maida -
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- ½ cup Sugar + 2 tbsp
- 100 gms Unsalted Butter at room temp
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
For Spice Powder:
- 1 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- Cinnamon a small piece
- First start by preparing the caramel. Combine ¼ cup of sugar and ½ tbsp of water in a sauce pan. Heat it till the sugar melt and the color of the sugar turns dark brown. Remove from the stove and add ⅛ cup of water.
- Do this step with extreme care as adding water might splash on us while adding water. Put the saucepan back in the water and boil for about 3 mins. At this stage remove it from the stove and let it cool completely.
- Take the soaked fruits and toss them with about 2 tbsp of flour. This will prevent the fruits from sinking into the bottom of the flour batter. Reserve the Rum used for soaking the fruits, which we will add to the cake batter.
- Now sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl 3 times so that they get mixed well.
- Separate the Egg yolk and Egg white and keep them in separate bowls. Mix the Egg white really well and keep aside.
- Now combine the butter and Egg yolk really well. Add in half of the flour mixture with the butter and egg yolk.
- Now add in the spice powders and Vanilla mixture
- Now add in the prepared caramel to this mixture. Mix it really well and add in the remaining flour mixture. Fold the batter gently. Add in the fruits tossed in flour to the cake batter. Now add in 2 tbsp of the Rum is reserved from the soaked fruits. Now pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg C for about 12 mins. And bake the cake for about 50 mins in conventional mode. The cake is done if a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the baked cake.
- The baking time may vary from oven to oven.
- Caramel preparation is an extremely important step in the Christmas fruit cake as it gives the golden brown color to the cake.
- It is important to remove the caramel from the stove at the correct stage as overcooking might turn the caramel bitter. It might spoil the cake if overcooked. Hence do this with utmost care.
- Place the parchment paper in the prepared cake tin, this help to remove the cake easily from the cake pan.
- Run a knife around the cake to release the cake easily from the pan.