Homemade Flour tortilla are soft and perfect flatbread. You can now skip the storebought ones and make the perfect one at the home.
Some soft fresh homemade flour tortillas stuffed with our favorite filling make a hearty meal. I always look forward to such amazing and easy to put together meals. Make a huge batch of Tortillas and freeze some is all I mean. Believe me, you will have your food ready in minutes with all the prep work done.
If you have some time over the weekend, get ready with your pickled veggies, hummus or Tahini sauce, or some chopped Cilantro. Roast your favorite veggies and freeze. Also, grate some cheese and keep it ready. With all the prep you can mix and match and get your favorite meals. By now you will understand why I am stressing on some tortillas, Go ahead read on.
Tortilla is a flat thin flatbread of Mexican origin. It is from the maize or
corn traditionally. However, making them with flour is popular these days. That
is when Flour Tortillas are gaining popularity. It is an unleaved flatbread
made of either Maida or Wheat flour or a mix of both flours.
Corn or Flour tortillas
Corn tortillas are from Corn whereas Flour tortillas are from wheat flour or
white flour. Corn tortillas are more authentic and traditional. Corn tortillas
are always rich in fiber, lower in calories than flour tortillas. Also, they
are gluten free. Still, Flour tortillas are popular because of their easy to
prepare and filling to eat qualities.
Flour tortillas ingredients
Flour - I am using a combination of White and Wheat flour
today. You can also use either white flour or wheat flour fully. 1 part of white
flour and 2 parts of wheat flour.
Baking Powder - We are not using any leavening agents in
tortillas. Baking powder is the ingredient which is for the softness of the
Oil - Oil gives a smoothing finish to the dough. You can
use Olive oil or any flavorless oil.
Salt - Add salt for taste.
Unfortunately no, Both Wheat Flour and All purpose flour has gluten. So these flat bread are not gluten free. For gluten free
flatbread you may opt for corn tortillas.
Yes, Flour Tortillas are completely vegan. We use only plant based food for preparing them.
Moderation is the key for anything and everything. Make sure you do not overeat.
Tips & How to use Flour Tortilla
Enchiladas with flour tortillas - Enchilada is a dish that uses tortillas as a wrap that has a filling and then they are cooked in a sauce. The combinations are various.
Flour tortilla chips - Tortillas are cut into triangles and then they are either fried or baked. Tortilla chips go well with any spicy dip. You can also use them like Nachos.
Quesadilla - You can easily use tortillas as the base and make Quesadilla. Use any of your favorite stuffing or just plain cheese goes well.
Tacos - Of course not to miss you can make your favorite tacos. You may bake them slightly till crisp or use them as such.
How to make flour tortillas from scratch
Preparing the Dough - Use lukewarm water for kneading the dough. Add all the ingredients except the oil and bring them together. Finally, add oil and knead to a smooth finish.
Rolling the tortillas - The main point to consider is dividing the dough into equal parts to get equal sized tortillas. Also, make sure they are uniform in thickness and super thin.
Cooking the Tortillas - Cook the tortillas only for 30 secs on each side. Not more than that.
How to prepare Homemade Flour Tortilla, Pictorial
1. In a mixing bowl add in 1.5 cups of Wheat flour.
2. Next add in ½ cup of all purpose Flour.
3. Along with this add in ½ tsp of Baking powder and ¼ tsp of Salt.
4. Combine everything. Next, add in lukewarm water little by little and knead everything to a soft dough.
5. Now add in the 2 tbsp of oil and knead the dough once again. Knead the dough at least for 10mins. If you have a Stand mixer make sure you use it. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel for 30 mins.
6. Divide the dough into equal portions and then in the working area dust in some flour and knead the tortillas into a small circle. The tortilla will be very thin.
7. Heat a griddle once it's hot Add the tortilla and toast both sides until brown spots appear. Ths tortillas will puff up as it gets cooked.
8. Remove the tortillas and save them by covering them in a kitchen towel. Homemade Flour tortillas are ready.
How to store Homemade Flour Tortillas
Always keep the tortillas covered with a kitchen towel. Never leave them open. It makes the tortillas dry and hard.You can freeze the tortillas once they are completely cool. Transfer the stack of tortillas to a zip lock bag and freeze for up to a month.
How to reheat Tortillas
You can reheat the tortillas on the stovetop or in the microwave. If you are reheating frozen tortillas. Make sure you thaw them bring them to room temperature and heat.
More Flatbread recipes:
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram,Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Homemade Flour tortillas
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ cup Luke Warm Water May take up to 1 cup use as needed
- In a mixing bowl add in 1.5 cups of Wheat flour.
- Next add in ½ cup of all purpose Flour.
- Along with this add in ½ tsp of Baking powder and ¼ tsp of Salt.
- Combine everything. Next, add in lukewarm water little by little and knead everything to a soft dough.
- Now add in the 2 tbsp of oil and knead the dough once again. Knead the dough at least for 10mins. If you have a Stand mixer make sure you use it. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel for 30 mins.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and then in the working area dust in some flour and knead the tortillas into a small circle. The tortilla will be very thin.
- Heat a griddle once it's hot Add the tortilla and toast both sides until brown spots appear. Ths tortillas will puff up as it gets cooked.
- Remove the tortillas and save them by covering them in a kitchen towel. Homemade Flour tortillas are ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply