Milkpowder Burfi is an easy and quick Indian Fudge made in a few mins with 4 main Ingredients. It is rich and perfect for festivals. Milkpowder Burfi is very popular during the Diwali Season.
It's been a happening week so far with respect to blog. Usually, during all the festival seasons, we try to share the recipes according to the season or festival. As we all know it's Diwali this weekend and its raining recipes.
I have shared a few recipes last week also. And this week again I am doing the regular Blogging Marathon. So I will share 3 brand new Diwali recipes next 3 days. All thanks to our blogging Marathon. Every time I come out of my comfort zone and try various recipes.
Milkpowder Burfi is an interesting and easy recipe. Milkpowder Burfi can be made in less time and it is extremely delicious. I added extra nuts for the garnish and it gives an appealing look to the Milk Barfi. The best thing about Milkpowder Burfi is that it doesn't have any one string consistency and all. We just need to mix all the ingredients and cook till it becomes thick.
What is Burfi
Barfi or Burfi is a dense Indian sweet or mithai made like a fudge. It has a main ingredient which may be flour usually. Along with Sugar and other flavoring ingredients.
Milk powder Burfi gets ready in just 10 to 15 mins. It uses Milk powder, Milk, Sugar, and Ghee. Easy to follow steps, even a beginner can make a perfect milk powder burfi. Garnish with crushed nuts and saffron for a rich look and it gives a nice texture to the burfi.
Difference between Burfi and Katli
- Usually, Katli is nut-based. It is made using Nuts like Almonds, Cashew nuts.
- Whereas Burfi is made with flours. However, we can also make barfi with nuts as a base.
- Katli is much softer in texture than barfi. Barfi is slightly dense in texture.
Variations In Milk Powder Burfi
In the Same burfi mix, you can add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and make it as chocolate Burfi. otherwise, it can be divided into 2 and Make one as chocolate and one as White. It gives a nice layer. We can also make the same recipe into milk powder peda. We can add Saffron and make it as Kesar Burfi. Actually while writing this I got some recipe ideas. Hope I try out some ...
Milkpowder Barfi FAQ:
This means the burfi mixture is undercooked. Go ahead and cook until the mixture gets slightly thick and ghee oozes out. You can check by rolling a small portion . If it rolls easily and firm , we can set the burfi.
It means the barfi is over cooked. Cooking for a longer time gives a chewy barfi. The best tip to avoid this will be to cook on a very low flame so that the exact consistency is not missed. Also, use a sturdy heavy-bottomed pan. If you are a beginner in cooking go for a nonstick pan.
Barfi Stays good at room temperature for 2 days and then we can refrigerate and use. Since barfi is milk-based, Best to finish it asap.
But its stays good for a week in the fridge.
Similar Barfi Recipes:
It makes a great after-meal dessert. Can also prepare as a bhankshaman during festivals. Perfect for parties & festivals. Ideal for gifting as well
MilkPowder Burfi in Microwave:
Milk Powder Burfi can also be done in a microwave. Mix all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and cook in microwave high for 5 mins. After every one minute stir and cook. Cook until the mixture thickens and check if you are able to roll a ball. At this stage transfer it to a lined tray and allow it to set. Decorate the barfi as you like and enjoy the quick version.
Ingredients for Milkpowder Burfi:
Milk powder burfi uses 4 primary ingredients. Other than that we can use cardamom powder or nuts or Saffron Stands to decorate the burfi.
Milk powder is the main ingredient in Milk powder burfi.
For all Indian Mithais use Full fat or Full cream Milk. The fat from the milk is necessary for setting the barfi, So be sure about this part. Don't go for skimmed milk. The barfi might not set.
Use powdered sugar for a quick burfi, I used refined White sugar. We can definitely use Cane sugar, but I have not tried it yet. Will try and update the measurements soon.
Use good quality desi ghee for a flavourful barfi. In case you want to use butter, Cook till the butter melts and become a light golden color.
Watch Milkpowder Barfi Video below
How to make Milk powder Burfi:
1) In a heavy-bottomed pan add in the 3 tbsp ghee and cook in a low flame till it melts.
2) To this add in the ¼ cup Milk. I have used boiled and cooled milk. Along with the Milk add ⅓ cup powdered sugar.
3) Using a whisk Mix well such that the sugar melts.
4) Next add 1 cup Milk powder. Add the Milk powder in batches.
5) Keep whisking as you add the Milk powder, so that it doesn't form lumps and stick to the pan
6) Slowly the mixture combines together, Keep cooking on a low flame.
7) Using a spatula scrape the edges of the pan and continue cooking.
8) If the mixture sticks on the pan you can add a little more ghee.
9) After 7 or 8 mins the mixture slowly gets thick and start leaving the sides of the pan
10) If you pinch a small part and roll the dough, It will hold the shape. It is the correct consistency.
11) Switch off at this stage and. Keep a tray ready by greasing it with ghee and parchment paper.
12)Transfer the barfi to the tray and spread out evenly.
13) Add crushed nuts and saffron strands if using to the top of the burfi and press it with a spatula or with the backside of the bowl
14) Let it sit for 30 mins
15) Once it cools down, Slice the barfi and it is ready to serve.
Milk Powder Burfi | Milk Barfi
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Burfi Tay
- 1 cup Milk Powder
- ¼ cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 5 Strands Saffron Optional
- Nuts to garnish (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed pan add in the 3 tbsp ghee and cook in a low flame till it melts.
- to this add in the ¼ cup Milk. I have used boiled and cooled milk. Along with the Milk add ⅓ cup powdered sugar.
- Using a whisk Mix well such that the sugar melts.
- Next add 1 cup Milk powder. Add the Milk powder in batches.
- Keep whisking as you add the Milk powder, so that it doesn't form lumps and stick to the pan
- Slowly the mixture combines together, Keep cooking on a low flame.
- Using a spatula scrape the edges of the pan and continue cooking.
- If the mixture sticks on the pan you can add a little more ghee.
- After 7 or 8 mins the mixture slowly gets thick and start leaving the sides of the pan
- If you pinch a small part and roll the dough, It will hold the shape. It is the correct consistency.
- Switch off at this stage and. Keep a tray ready by greasing it with ghee and parchment paper.
- Transfer the barfi to the stay and spread out evenly.
- Add crushed nuts and saffron strands if using to the top of the burfi and press it with a spatula or with the backside of the bowl
- Let it sit for 30 mins.Once it cools down, Slice the barfi and it is ready to serve.
- Always use powdered Sugar for the recipe. It will be easy for the ingredients to blend together.
- Garnish the burfi with your favorite nuts.
- You can also use saffron for a richer version of burfi.
- Keeps good for a week. Refrigerate after 2 days and store.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.