Authentic tzatziki sauce recipe, A creamy yogurt cucumber dip. It is usually served along with Pita bread or Sandwich as a spread or dip.
Tzatziki sauce a classic Greek dip made of Thick Yogurt, Cucumber, Olive oil, and fresh herbs. It is so soft and creamy and the best pair with many flatbreads.
Authentic tzatziki sauce recipe
Tzatziki sauce which is originally from Greece is a typical cold dip made of yogurt, cucumber, and herbs. It is usually served along with Pita bread. Or as a spread in shawarma and a simple dip.
Dill leaves are a great addition to the tzatziki. If you can source them use them very well in place of Cilantro. Or you can use an equal quantity of Cilantro and dill leaves.
What is in tzatziki sauce
Cucumber - Use a Muslin cloth squeeze out the water from the grated cucumber and then use.
Cilantro or Dill Leaves - You may use Cilantro or Dill leaves. I feel dill leaves slightly overpower the dip. So use how you prefer. If adding Dill leaves add at last.
Olive oil - Olive oil works best for tzatziki sauce. So go for it.
Pepper - If you can add white pepper powder instead of black pepper. It definitely makes a difference.
Garlic - Grate and add the garlic. I am using 4 garlic if you cant withstand more garlic you may reduce it to 3 cloves.
Yogurt - Either use hung curd or Greek Yogurt. Make sure you do not have any moisture from the Yogurt which is why we go for thick yogurt. This is necessary for creamy tzatziki.
Tzatziki sauce with sour cream
Tzatziki sauce with sour cream is another variation to the authentic sauce. Here we go for the sour cream instead of the regular Yogurt. Sour cream and Yogurt have a similar texture and tanginess and it appears like a very simple swap.
Easy tzatziki sauce
Such a simple recipe to go one from the scratch. All we need is some grated cucumber and herbs. Mix everything and put it in the fridge. Use as and when needed. The Best thing about Tzatziki is that it is a cold sauce, So no worries it can sleep happily in the fridge.
How to Prepare Tzatziki Sauce, Pictorial
1. Peel the skin from the cucumber and remove the inner flesh. If using baby cucumber or English cucumber you can ignore this. Grate the cucumber. Put the grated cucumber in a muslin cloth squeeze and remove the excess water. Add the cucumber to a bowl now. Along with this add in chopped Cilantro
2. Next, add in the Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd and grated garlic.
4. Add in the required salt and Pepper powder.
5. Top it with Olive Oil.
6. Cling wrap and put them in the fridge till you serve. Tastes best when served chill.
How to Serve the Sauce
You can use tzatziki sauce with a variety of foods
- Use as a spread in shawarma
- Serve as a dip for Pita chips
- Use as a dip while serving any grilled or smoked food.
- You may also use it as a dressing for the salad.
- Also, make a lovely dip for the Tacos or Tortillas.
Since tzatziki has yogurt in it. It stays good for 7 days in the fridge. Do not keep more than that. Due to its acidic nature, the food might get spoiled. Instead, you may freeze the ingredients separately and mix as needed.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
- ¾ cup Grated Cucumber
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 4 clove Garlic
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Peel the skin from the cucumber and remove the inner flesh. If using baby cucumber or English cucumber you can ignore this. Grate the cucumber. Put the grated cucumber in a muslin cloth squeeze and remove the excess water. Add the cucumber to a bowl now. Along with this add in chopped Cilantro
- Next, add in the Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd and grated garlic.
- Combine everything.
- Add in the required salt and Pepper powder.
- Top it with Olive Oil.
- Cling wrap and put them in the fridge till you serve. Tastes best when served chill.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.