sorakkai kootu is a healthy lunch side dish prepared with channa dal and bottle gourd. Goes well with rice and curry
Bottle gourd/Sorakkai /Lauki is a watery vegetable. It has so many health benefits. It is widely used for weight Loss, Premature hair greying. It is also used as a remedy for urinary infections. I was not a big fan of Bottle gourd until my college days. It was my friend pradeepa one fine day who told me the health benefits of bottle gourd and she used to prepare this kootu for me often. From then I started having this healthy vegetable often. Sorakkai kootu tastes good with steamed rice rasam and any fries
How to prepare sorakkai kootu
1) In a kadai add in water and once it starts boiling add in the channa dal, Onion, curry leaves and allow it to boil till the channa dal is cooked. It might take around 15-20 mins. Once the channa dal is cooked add in the chopped bottle gourd.
- Add sufficient water to the curry as the Bottle gourd curry is not dry kootu.
- You can also cook the channa dal and bottle gourd in pressure cooker for 2 whistles and then follow the remaining process like mixing the spice powders and adding the ground coconut paste and the finally the tadka.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
sorakkai kootu with channa dal
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Sorakkai /Bottle gourd – 1
- Channa Dal – 3 tbs
- Onion – 1
- Chilli powder – 2tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Water –as required
- Salt – as required
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Jeera /Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- To Temper:
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Dry Red chilli -2
- In a kadai add in water and once it starts boiling add in the channa dal, Onion, curry leaves and allow it to boil till the channa dal is cooked. It might take around 15-20 mins. Once the channa dal is cooked add in the chopped bottle gourd.
- Stir everything together for about 5 mins on medium flame. Now add in Chilli powder, coriander powder , Turmeric powder and salt. Mix everything well and then wait till the bottle gourd is 90% cooked and then add in the ground coconut and Jeera/Cumin Seeds and mix well.
- Check for the salt and spice switch off the flame once the bottle gourd is cooked completely. Now prepare the tadka in a small pan. Add in oil once it becomes hot add in the ingredients under “To Temper” list in the table pour over the bottle gourd curry and mix well. Healthy Lunch side dish with bottle gourd is ready
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.