Dahi Puri Chaat is a popular Indian Street Food snack. It has a mini puri stuffed with chutney, Sev, potato, yogurt. Usually in India, they are sold in mini pushcart vendors.
Dahi Puri also known as Dahi batata puri or Dahi Sev batata puri. Chaat is always the most popular snack or appetizer in India. We can see the vendors selling chaat in a pushcart on most of the roads. They have all the ingredients ready and, when we make or menu selection, they assemble and deliver.
It has a burst of flavors and a variety of ingredients. They are not too spicy nor too sweet. It is an emotion. Now let's see how to prepare Sev Dahi Poori or dahi batata puri.
Crispy cracked golgappas (mini puri). That has a filling of boiled and mashed potatoes. Thick flowing yogurt along with sweet tamarind chutney and green chutney. Along with them a generous sprinkle of fine Sev and spice powders. This is it, it describes Dahi Poori. One of the most popular street food from India.
Ingredients for Dahi Puri:
Golgappa or Puri - This is the base for Dahi puri. Crispy mini puris are stuffed with all the sauces and stuffing for the Dahi puri chaat.
Yogurt - Use thick curd or yogurt. Make sure it is not too sour. Also, use thick yogurt. If it's no thick it will flow and spoil the chaat.
For stuffing - I usually use boiled and mashed potatoes. You may also use boiled and mashed green moong and finely chopped onions too as a stuffing.
Sauce or Chutney - We use green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. For a more spicy version, you may also use garlic red chili chutney.
Sev - Use mini nylon Sev as a filling for the Dahi puri chaat. It gives a nice crunch on topping over the chaat.
Pomegranate - adding pomegranate is totally optional, but I love the pop of colors it gives to the chaat and it has a nice crunch.
Cilantro - We usually garnish the chaat with a generous sprinkle of coriander leaves.
Spice Powders - We use a mix of Chaat Masala, Chili powder, and Salt. Black Salt or Kala Namak gives a nice tang to the chaat if using.
What is Indian Chaat made of?
Indian Chaat is most commonly made of crispy fried mini puri called golgappas or papdi. They are crushed or served by making a small crack on one side. It also has green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney along with pomegranate and sev. It may have fillings with boiled potato, boiled chickpeas. They are then assembled and served as a chaat.
Popular Chaat items in India?
Some of the most popular chaat items in India are Aloo Chaat, aloo Tikki, Pani Puri, Sev Puri, Samosa Chaat,Bhel Puri.
How to make Dahi Puri Chaat
Frying the Puri
1.Heat a pan with oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, drop in the golgappas or chaat puri and fry till they puff up and crisp. Drain in a paper towel and remove the excess oil.
Get the Ingredients ready
2.Get all the ingredients and keep them ready. Once they are done, it's very easy to assemble the Dahi chaat. Take the green chutney, Tamarind Chutnt, fried Puri, Sev, Pomegranate, Cilantro, boiled and mashed potato, and the Spice powders.
Assemble Dahi Puri
3.In a serving plate arrange the fried puri.
4. Break open on one side and make a small hole in the puri. You can add the broken pieces into the puri itself.
5. Now add a small portion of the boiled and mashed potatoes into the puri.
6. Next, add a small serving of thick curd or yogurt into the puri.
7. Add in some green chutney and tamarind chutney.
8. Mix the chaat masala, Chili powder, and salt togther and sprinkle the masala over the puris generously.
9. Next, add in a generous sprinkle of sev.
10. Finally, add in some pomegranate and chopped cilantro ( coriander leaves ). Street style Dahi Puri Chaat is now ready to serve.
Serve Dahi Puri Chaat immediately.
Tips & Variations
- Always use fresh yogurt and make sure it is not too sour.
- Use can use store bought golgappas or homemade ones.
- Readymade fried golgappas or puris are available these days.
- You can prepare the green chutney and tamarind chutney before the day itself. They keep well in the fridge.
- Dahi Puri without potatoes - In case if you want to skip adding potatoes, you may replace the stuffing with boiled and mashed channa ( Garbanzo beans ) or green moong beans.
- Dahi Puri vs Pani Puri - This is another favorite combo. These two are always in comparison and have equal competition in any chaat shop. Another most loved combination.
How to serve Dahi Puri
You can make a chaat counter. Get ready with all the ingredients and the fried puri. When you are ready to serve to assemble all the ingredients and share the dahi puri chaat. Makes a perfect evening snack. Perfect for a party or kitty party. It is a perfect kitty party or potluck material.
It is not a good idea to store the assembled Dahi Puri. Prepare all the ingredients and you can store them. At the time of serving fry the puri or use the readymade puri. Assemble the Dahi puri and serve immediately.
Similar Street Food Recipes
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Dahi Puri Chaat
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 15 Golgappas / Puri
- 2 Potato boiled and mashed
- ⅓ cup Thick Curd or Yogurt
- ¼ cup Green Chutney
- ¼ cup Tamarind Chutney
- 1 tbsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Sev
- 2 tbsp Pomogranate
- 2 tbsp Cilantro finely chopped
Frying the Puri
- Heat a pan with oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, drop in the golgappas or chaat puri and fry till they puff up and crisp. Drain in a paper towel and remove the excess oil.
Get the Ingredients ready
- Get all the ingredients and keep them ready. Once they are done, it's very easy to assemble the Dahi chaat. Take the green chutney, Tamarind Chutnt, fried Puri, Sev, Pomegranate, Cilantro, boiled and mashed potato, and the Spice powders.
Assemble Dahi Puri
- In a serving plate arrange the fried puri.
- Break open on one side and make a small hole in the puri. You can add the broken pieces into the puri itself.
- Now add a small portion of the boiled and mashed potatoes into the puri.
- Next, add a small serving of curd or yogurt into the puri.
- Add in some green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Mix the chaat masala, Chili powder, and salt togther and sprinkle the masala over the puris generously.
- Next, add in a generous sprinkle of sev.
- Finally, add in some pomegranate and chopped cilantro ( coriander leaves ). Street style Dahi Puri Chaat is now ready to serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply