Green Chutney is a quintessential dish when it comes to chaat. It is easily made with Mint and Cilantro along with other spices.
No cooking is needed, all you need is just a few ingredients and a blender. This delicious green chutney is ready in minutes. Make a batch and store it, we can use it as and when required.
This is a staple and very common street food in India. We use it almost in all the chaat dishes. The best thing is that we can store it for quite some time and hence we can make and store it in the fridge.
How to use the Chutney
This Chutney comes in handy and we may use it in various ways. First and foremost we use it in Chaat recipes. We can also use them as a spread-in sandwich. It is also usually a dip for samosa, Kachori, or even pakodas.
Ingredients for Chaat Chutney
Mint + Coriander - Mint and Coriander leaves are the base of the chutney, are the base of chutney. I usually take more Cilantro ( coriander leaves ) than the Mint levels. You may take an equal quantity of Mint and Coriander also.
Ginger , Green Chilli Garlic - We usually a small quantity of ginger and garlic for flavor and adjust the green chili added to the chutney as per your spice levels.
Spices - This Chutney uses few different spice powders than regular chutney. We use roasted Cumin powder and Chaat Masla. Also, we use roasted gram dal this is mainly used to increase the volume of the chutney.
Black Salt - Use black salt for chaat chutney. It gives a nice flavor to the chutney.
Lemon Juice - Finally not to forget, Drizzle in lemon juice after blending the chutney.
Green Chutney , FAQ's:
How do you thicken green chutney
If your chutney is runny, you may add in a few roasted gram dal and grind the chutney once again. But do not add too much it may change the entire taste of the chutney.
Why is my chaat chutney bitter
Blending the coriander leaves and mint leaves together may turn the chutney bitter and so keep a check. Also, make sure you use only fresh Mint and Coriander leaves.
How to Prepare Green Chutney, Pictorial:
1. In a blender add in the Mint and cilantro ( Coriander leaves )
2. Next add the Roasted Gram Dal.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, and green chili.
4. Add in Roasted cumin powder, Chaat Masala, and the required Salt.
5. Blend well by adding little water to the chutney consistency. Use ice water to retain the green colour in the chutney.
6. Finally drizzle in the lemon juice and the chutney for chaat is ready.
How to store Green Chutney:
Green chutney stays good for up to 10 days in the fridge. you may also freeze the chutney. In the ice, cubes tray pour in the green chutney and freeze. Once it's frozen remove it from the ice tray and then store them as cubes in zip lock bags in the freezer.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Green Chutney | Green Chutney for Chaat
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 cup Cilantro
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 3 Garlic
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tbsp Roasted Gram Dal
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- In a blender add in the Mint and cilantro ( Coriander leaves )
- Next add the Roasted Gram Dal.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and green chili.
- Add in Roasted cumin powder, Chaat Masala, and the required Salt.
- Blend well by adding little water to the chutney consistency.
- Finally drizzle in the lemon juice and the green chutney for chaat is ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.