Instant Mango Pickle is a quick and instant version of Mango Pickle that get's ready in just 10 mins. You can enjoy with some Curd Rice or Variety Rice.
Instant Mango Pickle with step by step pictures.When Mangoes are in season mom always makes this awesome pickle in home. So I am also tempted when i get my hands on some fresh Mangoes in Market.
We enjoy this pickle with almost everything and our favourite is with the Yogurt rice aka Curd Rice.
Pickles are a traditional recipe. They have a long history and a strong root. Usually, pickles are made by processing for many days. It is almost like wine. It tastes good as it ages. This Instant Mango pickle is a shortcut for the pickle craving. We just do a quick tempering, add the spices and finish off the pickle.
Mango - Use fresh tender raw mango. Make sure the mangoes are not too sour and not ripe. Fresh raw mango suits best for the pickle.
Sesame Oil - When it comes to pickles, we go for sesame oil without any thoughts. It is for the flavor and the long shelf life of the pickle.
Mustard, Cumin, Hing - We just add the normal tempering ingredients to the pickle and hing is mandatory.
Dry Red chili, Curry Leaves - Again, we add red chili and curry leaves for flavor.
Spice powders - Just the basic spice powders go into the pickle. Red Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, and Salt to taste.
Fenugreek Powder - So this has a special mention. It brings in the pickle taste and this is the secret ingredient for the pickle.
Which oil is the best for Mango Pickle?
Always go for Sesame oil or Gingelly oil. They are the best when it comes to pickles. They increase the shelf life and gives an amazing taste to the pickle.
How do we select mango for pickles?
Go for green unripe Mangoes. The mangoes must be firm and tender.
Do we add Vinegar to mango pickle?
Vinegar is mainly for the shelf life or storage purpose of the pickles. I am not adding vinegar to the pickle. However, if you want to store the pickle for a longer time, you may add 2 tbsp of Vinegar to the pickle.
How to Prepare Instant Mango Pickle
1.Dry Roast fenugreek seeds until they turn light brown. Allow them to cool down and grind to a fine powder and set aside.
2. In a pan add in oil once it becomes hot add in Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek seeds let it splutter. And then add dry red Chili, Hing, and Curry Leaves.
3. Cut the Mango into small cube-sized pieces. Once the tempering is done add the Cut Mango pieces into the pan and mix well. Let it cook for 2 mins.
4. Next add in Red Chilli powder.
5. Also add in Turmeric Powder and Salt.
6. Finally, add in the roasted fenugreek powder. Combine everything.
Mix everything and allow it to cook for another 1 min and then switch off the flame.
Once it cools down store it in a sterilized jar. Instant Mango Pickle is ready.
- Always use fresh tender Mango.
- Never use ripe mangoes for the pickle.
- Adjust the spiciness as per your taste preference. I made it less spicy.
Mango pickle stays good at room temperature for two days or, you can put it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Usually, I make Instant Mango pickle only in a small quantity and, it never lasted more than a week. Since it is an instant pickle, I prefer doing it weekly once.
Mango pickle goes well with curd rice or any variety rice. We usually serve Instant Mango Pickle as a part of the Onam Sadhya.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Instant Mango Pickle
- 2.5 cups Raw Mango cut into cubes
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Powder – ½ tsp
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Hing /Asafoetida a generous pinch
- 2 Red Chilli
- 2 spring Curry Leaves
- Dry Roast fenugreek seeds until they turn light brown. Allow them to cool down and grind to a fine powder and set aside.
- In a pan add in oil once it becomes hot add in Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek seeds let it splutter. And then add dry red Chili, Hing, and Curry Leaves.
- Cut the Mango into small cube-sized pieces. Once the tempering is done add the Cut Mango pieces into the pan and mix well. Let it cook for 2 mins.
- Next add in Red Chilli powder.
- Also add in Turmeric Powder andSalt
- Finally, add in the roasted fenugreek powder. Combine everything.
- Mix everything and allow it to cook for another 1 min and then switch off the flame. Once it cools down store it in a sterilized jar.
- The pickle stays good for a week.
- Always use a clean spoon for a longer shelf life.
- Tastes good with Curd Rice.
- Don’t skip Sesame oil in the pickle as it gives the flavour to the pickle.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
This post is originally from 2017 . It is now updated with new Pictures,video, details and recipe card.