Avakaya Pickle | Andhra Raw Mango Pickle | Avakai Orugai | How to make Avakaya Pickle with Step by step photos. Avakaya Pickle needs no introduction. It is a mother of all the pickles from Andhra. Andhra is known for its variety of pickles and pachadi and many more. Till I stumbled upon Avakaya pickle from Ramya’s blog I was under the impression it is so hard to prepare and we need some special skills in hitting the pickle the right way.
I always love mango pickle and every summer I decide upon to try some pickle in home, however somehow I get lazy and end up buying a bottle of pickle from store .But this year I was strong in my decision and tried this best Avayai Pickle in home and was super satisfied with the results. Now that I always include pickle in my daily food and I’m happy that it is homemade and I need worry about buying a pickle for one full year. Now let’s see how to prepare Avakaya Pickle
Similar Pickle Recipes:
2. Next add in the Mustard Powder, Turmeric powder, Fenugreek seeds and Garlic pods.
3. Toss well so that everything mix evenly. Now add in the chopped Mango pieces and give a good mix so that the spice powder coats the mango evenly.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Raw Mango – 3 Medium sized
- Red Chilli powder – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 cup
- Mustard Powder - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic pods- ¼ cup
- Sesame Oil- 1 ½ cups
- Wash the mangoes well and wipe it to dry .Chop the mangoes into cube sized pieces. In the jar where you are going to prepare pickle add the Red Chilli powder and Salt toss well.
- Next add in the Mustard Powder, Turmeric powder, Fenugreek seeds and Garlic pods.
- Toss well so that everything mix evenly. Now add in the chopped Mango pieces and give a good mix so that the spice powder coats the mango evenly.
- Now add in ½ cup of Sesame oil and allow the pickle to rest for 2 days .Mix well once in a day. After 2 days add the remaining 1 cup oil and allow it to stand for another 2 days and the Avakaya pickle is ready to use now.
- The pickle stays good for a year, always use a clean dry spoon to handle the pickle.
- Use sour mangoes for best results.
- Tastes best with rice and Ghee.
- Use 2 tbsp of black chick peas ,however it is optional