Moong Dal Ladoo or Yellow Split Lentils Ladoo is an easy 3 ingredients recipe. It gets ready with the basic ingredients available in your Pantry.
Halwa, Ladoo, or Kheer be it any festival you will definitely have them on the menu.
Always traditional sweets are fun. Not everyone has the luxury of having enough time these days. Traditional sweets always need little patience and some elbow effort. So I thought of sharing something really quick and easy.
Just 10 mins you get to prepare a Diwali Sweet. Mung Dal Ladoo is one such dish. It is perfect for gifting as well. It tastes close the Besan Ladoo.
The dessert is referred with various regional names. It is Pasi Paruppu urundai or Moong Dal Urundai in Tamil. Yellow Lentil Sweet balls in English.
What is Ladoo
Ladoo is a quick dessert with few ingredients. Ladoo or Laddu is made with any flour, fat substances to hold the shape like ghee, butter, or oil and then a sweetener.
But, there are some ladoo made with just 2 ingredients. If you see my Peanut Ladoo recipe. It has only Peanust and Jaggery. Peanuts have natural oil that helps in holding the shape of the Ladoo.
But for the Ladoo made with flour we may add ghee or oil to hold shape.
What is Moong Dal Ladoo
Moong Dal Ladoo is a protein-rich sweet ball made with Yellow split Lentils, Jaggery and Ghee. To make it more rich and festive I have added Cashew nuts and also cardamom pods for flavor.
It is an instant Ladoo. The only time-consuming part is to roast the lentils. After that, all you need to do is to blend the ingredients together add ghee, and shape the ladoos.
Vegan Moong Dal Ladoo:
For a vegan version. Instead of ghee use Almond butter or Coconut Oil. Sweets always taste best with ghee as it has its own flavor. But you definitely can use the vegan replacements and enjoy the Ladoo.
How to make moong dal ladoo with jaggery
For preparing Moong Dal Ladoo with Jaggery or Gur, We will be blending the moong dal and Jaggery together.We are simply replacing white sugar with jaggery. It tastes similar and healthier compared to the sugar version.Or we can use Palm Jaggery also.
Ingredients to make Moong Dal Ladoo
Moong Dal / Yellow Split Lentils
Yellow mung beans or Moong Dal or Pasi Parupu or Yellow split lentils are a good source of protein. It is the main ingredient in the ladoo.
It has a nutty flavor and perfect to go with any dessert. Another popular recipe with Moong Dal is the Moong Dal Kheer. Mostly prepared during festivals in India.
You can wash the lentils in water dry it completely by spreading over a muslin cloth. And then use it in ladoo or you can also use it directly.
Jaggery or Gur:
Jaggery is the traditional cane sugar from Asia. Gur or Jaggery may be golden brown or dark brown in color depending on the quality.
It is healthier compared to White Sugar, which is why it's popular. Gur is from the Sugar cane plant. It is the raw unrefined produce from the sugarcane, Hence the golden color. It is perfect for any desserts, Kheers, and it's getting popular in cakes and bakes as well.
Ghee or Clarified Butter
Ghee is commonly used in Indian cooking. It is very aromatic and rich. We prepare ghee by melting butter. We can easily prepare at home. Ghee in dessert makes it rich and festive. Also here ghee is particular in holding the shape of the ladoo.
Cardamom gives a nice flavor to the ladoo. If you don't prefer you can use Rose essence or Rose Water. Or just skip it.
We can see cashew nuts in almost all Indian sweets or mithai. Lately using Almonds, Saffron is getting popular. So use any nuts of your choice.all these enhance the taste, you can definitely skip or replace with any nut of your choice.
Similar Recipes in bog:
Makes a perfect option for gifting during festivals. You can pack it with assorted sweets and nuts and gift them. Otherwise, it makes a great after-meal dessert. Can also serve as a bhankshaman or neivaidhyam for god.
Variations in Moong Dal Ladoo:
Green Lentils can be used instead of Yellow lentils. I have used Jaggery as a sweetener in this recipe. It can be replaced with Plam Jaggery or even White Sugar. Instead of Cashew nuts Raisins, Almonds, or any nuts of your choice in the ladoo.
How to make Moong Dal Ladoo , With Step by Step pictures:
1. In a pan add in the moong dal, Dry Roast in a low flame.
2. Roast until the colour changes slightly golden and the moong dal turn crunchy. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down , Transfer it to a blender and then add in the roasted moong dal, Cardamom pods and Jaggery.
3. Blend everything together to form a nice powder. Transfer it to a vessel. Heat ghee in a pan to this add in the cashew nuts and roast until golden brown.
4. Add the ghee long with the nuts to the powdered moong dal, jaggery mixture, When it is of bearable heat pinch in a small portion of the dough and shape it to form ladoo. Continue this to all the dough. Yellow Moong Ladoo is now ready to be served
Perfect for the last minute preparation for Diwali.
Happy Diwali all !!
Moong Dal Ladoo | Yellow Split Lentils Ladoo
- Saute Pan
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 cup Moong Dal or Yellow Split Lentils
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- In a pan add in the moong dal, Dry Roast in a low flame.
- Roast until the colour changes slightly golden and the moong dal turn crunchy. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down , Transfer it to a blender and then add in the roasted moong dal, Cardamom pods and Jaggery.
- Blend everything together to form a nice powder. Transfer it to a vessel. Heat ghee in a pan to this add in the cashew nuts and roast until golden brown.
- Add the ghee long with the nuts to the powdered moong dal, jaggery mixture, When it is of bearable heat pinch in a small portion of the dough and shape it to form ladoo. Continue this to all the dough. Moong Dal Ladoo is now ready to be served.
- Serve as an after-meal dessert.
- Garnish with your favourite nuts.
- Jaggery can be replaced by Sugar, Country sugar or Coconut Sugar.
- As we are using jaggery the ladoos tend to become hard after two days and hence finish it as soon as possible.
- The entire recipe takes less than 30 mins, So it is a perfect gifting option and perfect to prepare in the last minute for Diwali.