Green Gram Laddu is a delicious and quick 3 ingredient ladoo prepared with green lentils, Jaggery, and Cardamom.
Whole Green Gram Ladoo Recipe | Paasi Payaru Ladoo | Pachai Payaru Ladoo Recipe with step by step photos. A healthy ladoo recipe prepared with green gram .It tastes just yummy and this is one good way to consume green gram. It can be prepared easily. This healthy green gram laddu with jaggery is another healthy find for the festival. Green Moong Ladoo is loaded with protein. It is a great after school snack option. Now lets see how to Prepare Green Moong Dal Ladoo
Green Gram Ladoo
A healthy 3 ingredient Instant Laddu recipe (sweet balls) with Green Lentils. They are vegan (plant based) and dairy free. If you do not want to add nuts you can skip them. Or, you may add toasted nuts and add them before you shape the ladoo. They are guilt free and perfect for any festival. I always make them as an after school snack for the kids. They are filling and protein rich too.
Green Moong Dal in the local languages
|Tamil||Pachai Payaru (பச்சை பயறு)|
|Malayalam||Ceru Payar ( ചെറുപയർ )|
|Hindi||Sabat Mung or Green Moong Dal|
Green Gram - We dry roast the green gram and blend it to a fine powder and then shape the ladoos.
Jaggery - Jaggery is the main sweetened for the ladoos. I usually use organic jaggery they do not have any dirt particles. We can use it without straining the dust particles. If using Normal Jaggery once the jaggery melts completely sieve and remove the impurities and then continue cooking till the bubbles.
Water - This helps in binding the melted jaggery and the green gram powder.
Cardamom - We use cardamom pods for flavor. We can dry roast them along with the green gram and add. or if using cardamom powder we can add directly while shaping the ladoos.
What if my ladoos do not hold shape?
If the green gram flour is not hot you may not be able to shape the ladoos. YOu can heat it for a minute and then shape the ladoos. Or you can also add more hot Jaggery syrup and then shape the ladoos.
Can I use ghee in the laddu?
If you prefer you can definitely use it. Melt ghee and you can also roast cashew nuts and add to the ladoos.
How to make green gram laddu
1.In a Pan add in 1 cup of a Green gram and 4 cardamom pods. Dry roast the Green gram in a low flame till it changes color and you get a nice aroma. Allow it to cool down.
2. Next, add it to a blender
3. Grind it to a fine powder.
4. In a Pan add ½ cup Jaggery and ¼ cup Water.
5. Cook till the jaggery melts completely and starts bubbling up And then switch off.
6. Immediately Sieve and add in the ground green gram powder. Blend the sieved lumps once again to a fine powder and you can add them back.
7. Combine everything togther. You may also add in the toasted nuts or dry fruits if adding to the ladoos.
8. When they are still hot, and the heat is bearable. Pinch in small portions and shape the ladoos.
Healthy green gram Ladoos are ready.
Tips & Variations
- Green moong dal laddu benefits - Loaded with protein a guiltfree dessert.
- Green Ladoo can have both sugar and jaggery as sweeteners. Or even coconut sugar.
- Green Moong Ladoo makes a perfect dessert for any festival.
- It is apt for an offering to the god.
- you may also use Yellow lentils or Moong Dal instead of green lentils to make this delicious green gram ladoo or sabut moong ke laddu.
Stays good for a week at Room temperature. Store in an air tight container. Any sweets with Jaggery might get harder in time. So try to finish to ladoos in a week.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Whole Green Gram Ladoo | Paasi Payaru Ladoo | Pachai Payaru Ladoo
- 1 cup Green gram
- ½ cup Jaggery
- ¼ cup Water
- 4 Cardamom
- Nuts to garnish Optional
- In a Pan add in 1 cup of a Green gram and 4 cardamom pods. Dry roast the Green gram in a low flame till it changes color and you get a nice aroma. Allow it to cool down.
- Next, add it to a blender
- Grind it to a fine powder.
- In a Pan add ½ cup Jaggery and ¼ cup Water.
- Cook till the jaggery melts completely and starts bubbling up And then switch off.
- Immediately Sieve and add in the ground green gram powder. Blend the sieved lumps once again to a fine powder and you can add them back.
- Combine everything togther. You may also add in the toasted nuts if adding to the ladoos.
- When they are still hot, and the heat is bearable. Pinch in small portions and shape the ladoos. Healthy green gram Ladoos are ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
This post is originally from 2018 . It is now updated with new Pictures,video, details and recipe card.