Pecan fudge is an easy composition of ingredients cooked right to the perfect time. It is the perfect holiday recipe or gifting option.
It is that season of the year when so much gifting and buying chocolates happen. I guess you would know by now. So here is one perfect seasonal recipe for the current mood. A yummy and easy Pecan fudge or Toffee.
I tell you it's dangerously addictive, you cannot just stop with one. This is from my experience. I'm not kidding. I am using the common pantry ingredients, all you have to do is to follow the recipe exactly to the T.
But I have given replacement and alternatives for the ingredients below.
What is Fudge
Fudge is a soft crumbly or chewy sweet made from sugar, butter, and milk or cream ( as per wiki ). It is originally from the United States. But there is various method of preparing the fudge.
It's very popular coz it's easy to prepare at a home without cozy equipment, it's delicious and inexpensive. It is like the best homemade replacement for candy.
What is the secret in making the perfect fudge?
The secret to the best fudge is to cook the ingredients at the right temperature and to switch off and cool the mixture at the right time. By doing so the texture of the fudge will be perfect and firm. It will also be soft enough to cut into pieces.
Pecan is a variety of nuts native to northern Mexico and the Southern United States. Pecan has a similar look to the Walnuts.
Pecans have a powerful antioxidant. They're also a good source of the mineral zinc. They are good for heart health. Low in Sugar and many more.
Ingredients for Pecan Fudge
Condensed milk is the base for the toffee. It has milk and milk solids along with sugar. I am not sure of a replacement for this. So do not skip this or reduce the quantity. Do not use Full milk or evaporated milk in place of condensed milk.
You can use either Custard powder or Corn flour. If using Corn flour use another ½ tsp of extra vanilla essence.
Use either salted or unsalted butter.
It gives a very nice hint of vanilla to the fudge.
Use White refined sugar, if you do not care about the color you may also use brown sugar.
Pecans go very well in the fudge, but you can replace it with Almonds, Walnuts, or even Pistachios.
Variations to Pecan Fudge
- If you are not able to source pecans, you can replace pecans with any nuts of your choice.
- Instead of Pecans, we can use walnuts, almonds, Pistachios or even cashew nuts can.
- I am using custard powder but you can also use cornflour.
- If you like the chocolate flavor you can also use cocoa powder.
- We can also use Dry fruits or even tutti frutti.
A big No. Sweetened Condensed Milk is the base of the recipe. It helps in the texture, taste, and consistency of the recipe. Replacing the condensed milk might result in a big flop.
Yes, definitely you can customize the flavors. I am using a vanilla flavor. You can try rose flavor, Chocolate, or even Butterscotch.
Yes definitely, if you are making a bigger batch you can definitely double or even triple the recipe. Yet I would not recommend cutting down the recipe to half.
It means you have not cooked until the correct consistency. If it's too runny you can put the batter on the stove and cook for some more time. Else you can put it in the fridge.
Perfect for any parties and festivals. You can make a batch and gif them. They make a wonderful gifting option. We can also serve it as an after meal dessert.
How to store Pecan Fudge
Always keep it in the fridge and just before serving you can take it out from the fridge and serve.
When storing put parchment paper between each fudge, so that they don't stick to each other. Stays good in the fridge for 2 weeks. Beyond that, you can freeze it. Stays good up to 6 months or even more in the freezer.
How to Prepare Pecan Fudge, Pictorial:
1) In a heavy-bottomed pan add in ¾ cup condensed milk
2) To this add in 1 tbsp of Custard powder or Corn flour and ½ cup of Sugar
3) Combine everything and switch on the flame. Cook in a very low flame.
4) Cook for about 7 to 8 mins the mixture will start to get thick
Pro Tip: Always use a heavy bottomed pan or non stick pan to avoid getting stick to the pan.
5) At this stage add in 1 tsp of Vanilla essence
6) Add in 1 tbsp of butter
7) Mix well and keep cooking
8) Cook till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan and come together as a whole mass.
9) Add in ½ cup of roughly chopped pecans.
10) Cook for another 1 mix or until everything comes together leaving the pan and switch off the flame.
11) Grease a pan with butter and place a parchment paper. Transfer the pecan mixture to the pan and spread it.
12) Add in some crushed pecans on top and press it and shape the fudge. Allow it to sit for 6 hours or until it is set. I left it overnight
13) Slice and serve once it's set.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Pecan Fudge | Butter Pecan Fudge | Pecan Toffee
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- ¾ cup Condensed Milk
- ⅛ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Custard Powder or Corn Flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ cup Pecans
- In a heavy-bottomed pan add in ¾ cup condensed milk
- To this add in 1 tbsp of Custard powder or Corn flour and ½ cup of Sugar
- Combine everything and switch on the flame. Cook in a very low flame.
- cook for about 7 to 8 mins the mixture will start to get thick
- At this stage add in 1 tsp of Vanilla essence
- Add in 1 tbsp of butter
- Mix well and keep cooking
- Cook till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan and come together as a whole mass.
- Add in ½ cup of roughly chopped pecans.
- Cook for another 1 mix or until everything comes together leaving the pan and switch off the flame.
- Grease a pan with butter and place a parchment paper. Transfer the pecan mixture to the pan and spread it.
- Add in some crushed pecans on top and press it and shape the fudge. Allow it to sit for 6 hours or until it is set. I left it overnight
- Slice and serve once it's set.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.