Mango Shrikhand is a creamy chilled dessert made of Thick Yogurt and Manges. It is also known as Amrakhand. It tastes best when served chilled.
Shrikhand is a creamy chilled dessert made with thick yogurt. It is one of the popular desserts in the Gujarati and Marathi Cuisine. Mango shrikhand is also known as Amrakhand. This is a totally delicious and addictive dessert and an awesome variation to the regular shrikhand.
What is Shrikhand
Shrikhand is a very popular Indian dessert from the Gujarat region in India. It is a Yogurt based dessert. Yogurt is strained to remove excess water. It is then sweetened with sugar and flavored with cardamom and Kesar.
Mango Shrikhand is a very popular variation to the regular shrikhand where we add Sweetened Mango pulp.
How to select Mangoes for Shrikhand
You may use any ripe and sweet Mango varieties. Always try avoiding mangoes with more fibers. It might affect the consistency of the shrikhand.
Kesar or Alphonso Variety of mangoes are widely used in shrikhand preparations. But use any ripe Juicy Mangoes. When in off season you may also use the canned Mango pulp.
Mango Shrikhand Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt is a thick strained yogurt that is strained to remove its whey resulting in thick creamy rich yogurt. So rather than the traditional yogurt Greek yogurt is already thick. So we need not strain it for days to remove the excess moisture. Strain and leave in the fridge overnight or just 4 hours. You will get thick yogurt and then you may proceed to add the Mango Puree Sugar and Cardamom.
Mango Shrikhand consists of Mango Puree, thick Yogurt along with the sugar and cardamom for flavor. We may also use saffron for the garnish along with the chopped nuts.
Mangoes - Mangoes are available during the summer. Use the season's best mangoes to make Mango Shrikhand. You may also use canned Mango pulp when the fresh mangoes are not in season.
Yogurt - Traditionally in the olden days yogurt is strained over a muslin cloth for one or two days to remove excess moisture. Wrap the cloth tightly and place any weights so the Yogurt gets thicker.
These day's everyone started to use greek yogurt which is already thick. The Yogurt that goes to the Shrikhand is thick, rich, and creamy.
Sugar - Adjust and add the sugar as per the sweetness of your mangoes. I prefer adding powdered sugar so that it combines easily as we whip it together. You may also use powdered sugar just that you have to mix well until sugar combines.
Cardamom Powder - Cardamom powder is the key flavoring to the Shrikhand. It has an aromatic fruity flavor and that goes well along in shrikhand.
Saffron - Adding Saffron is totally optional but then it adds a beautiful golden hue to the shrikhand. So I prefer adding.
How to make mango shrikhand
1) In a wide bowl place a muslin cloth and add in Greek Yogurt or Hung curd. Cover it and remove the excess water by squeezing it a little.
2. Place a weight on it and allow it to rest overnight to remove the excess moisture. This gives you thick Yogurt. Set it aside.
3. In a blender add in the sliced mangoes and puree them. Transfer it to a bowl along with the Hung Curd or Thick Yogurt.
4. Combine everything without any lumps.
5. To this add in Cardamom powder, Powdered Sugar, and Saffron. combine everything.
6. Delicious Mango Shrikand is ready. Top with your favorite nuts and serve
Shrikhand itself is a dessert. However, in the western parts of India, they serve Puri or Poori ( Fried Flat bread) along with shrikhand.
Amrakhand is just another name of Shrikhand. Aam in Hindi means 'Mango' . So 'Aam' plus 'Shrikhand' became Amrakhand.
You can definitely use sour cream in place of Yogurt. Just that reduce the sour cream to half the quality than yogurt. You may follow rest of the recipe same like how we use for yogurt.
- Use Full fat Greek Yogurt to prepare Shrikhand for a quicker version.
- Adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of the Mango
- I am using Banganapalli Mango variety for my Shrikhand.
- For Instant Shrinkhand use thick Yogurt and canned Mango Pulp.
- Always serve the Shrikhand chilled for best taste.
Serving Suggestions & Storage Options
- Mango Shrikhand goes well with Poori, Or you may serve them by itself as a dessert. My personal favourite is as an after meal dessert.
- You may store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Also, Mango shrikhand tastes best when served chill.
More Mango Desserts
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram,Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Mango Shrikhand | Amrakhand
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- ¾ cup Mango Puree
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Saffron a big pinch
- Chopped Nuts for topping
- ¼ tsp Elachi/Cardamon Powder
- In a wide bowl place a muslin cloth and add in Greek Yogurt or Hung curd. Cover it and remove the excess water by squeezing it a little. Place a weight on it and allow it to rest overnight to remove the excess moisture. This gives you thick Yogurt. Set it aside.
- In a blender add in the sliced mangoes and puree them.
- Transfer it to a bowl along with the Hung Curd or Thick Yogurt.
- Combine everything without any lumps.
- To this add in Cardamom powder, Powdered Sugar, and Saffron. combine everything.
- Delicious MangoShrikand is ready. Top with your favorite nuts and serve
- Use Hung curd to prepare Shrikhand
- Adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of the Mango
- I used Banganapalli Mango variety for my Shrikhand.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016. Its now updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and Content.
I m just drooling Sharmi! Can we make this with greek yogurt?