Vazhaipoo Kola Urundai / Banana Blossom Kola Urundai with step by step pictures and video . A tasty and delicious chettinad snack which brings back a delicious nostalgic flavour..It's mild but so addictive..
I have shared the deep fry method and appe pan method . so if you don't like to deep fry you can definitely make a healthier version in appe pan.
I have shared both the version in the past. So now let's see how to make vazhaipoo kola urundai.
Makes a delicious evening snack. Prepare the kola urundai when you are free so that it comes in handy and can be made quickly.
Vazhaipoo Kola Urundai
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 cups Banana flower
- Oil for deep frying
- ½ cup Roasted Gram Dal
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon Stick
- Cashew nuts
- 2 springs Curry Leaves
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 5 Garlic
- 1 Onion
- ½ cup Grated coconut
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Clean the banana flowers and then chop them into small pieces. Put them in the buttermilk till used.
- Add the roasted gram dal in a blender and grind it to fine powder.
- In the blender add in the fennel seeds, Poppy seeds, cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon Stick ,Cashew nuts.
- Next add in the curry leaves, ginger and garlic pods. Add in the chopped onion. Next add in the red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Salt, Green Chilli and Coriander leaves.
- Blend everything. Next add in the chopped banana flowers and blend everything to a fine puree.
- Transfer it to a big plate. Add the roasted gram dal powder little by little and knead to a fine dough.
- Oil the palms and then knead the small kola urundais. Put in the fridge for a hour.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Once its hot add in the kola urundai 4 to 5 at a time and deep fry.
- Fry in a medium flame. Dont disturb it for the first 2 mins and then flip and cook on all the sides.
- Drain in paper towels and serve hot.
- In case you don’t want to deep fry , you can cook the same in appe / paniyaram pan. Check my video for more details.
- You can also use the same recipe for raw banana.
- Make sure the banana blossom is not bitter , and keep soaking in buttermilk till you use.
- Drain the buttermilk well and then blend.
- If the water content is more the kola uruandai will not come perfectly. You can add more roasted gram dal powder or put in fridge to bring the kola urundai firm.
- You can freeze the kola urundai for a week and deep fry when ever needed.
- Makes a healthy evening snack.