Christmas is never complete without a Biryani .There are so many variation made in Biryani and various cooking methods are flowed but nothing can match a Dum Biryani .I tried Dum Biryani with the authentic Charcoal method. I did cook this in my mom’s place as in Bangalore in my flat I cannot cook like that .I reserved this post especially for Christmas and it was waiting in my drafts for quite a sometime. I have already shared pressure cooker Chicken Biryani, however the flavour that we get in the authentic method is incomparable. Similar Biryani Recipes that i have already posted in blog : Fish Dum BiryaniMutton Dum BiryaniPrawn Dum Biryani
Chicken - Always select chicken pieces that have both bone and flesh together for biryani. Such pieces cook very well with the rice and will be juicy in the biryani.
Whole Spices - We usually temper the biryani with the whole spices, as we fry them in oil or Ghee the spices turn fragrant.
Onion, Tomato, ginger, and garlic paste - These are the basics we add thinly sliced onions and finely chopped tomato in the biryani. We can never cook biryani without ginger garlic paste.
Spice Powders - Just the basic spice powders like chili powder, Garam Masala Turmeric powder, and salt goes into the biryani.
Mint, cilantro, and Green Chilli - Again Mint and Cilantro bring in lots of flavors to the biryani.
Curd or Yogurt, Lemon - Both Curd and Lemon balance the flavors in the biryani and they are mandatory addition.
Saffron- We infuse saffron with luke warm milk and sprinkle them over the rice as we cook the biryani.
Basmati Rice - Use good quality long grained basmati rice. My personal choice is India Gate Basmati Rice.
How to prepare Chicken Dum Biryani
More biryani recipes:
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Chicken Dum Biryani
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Basmati Rice – 1 kg
- Onion – 5
- Tomato – 4
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Saffron few strands
- Mint – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Bay Leaves - 2
- In a pan add in oil once it heats up add in fennel seeds and then Bay leaves ,Cinnamon sticks ,Cloves ,Cardamom let it sizzle for a minute. Then add in sliced onions fry till they get golden brown in a low flame it may take some time.
- Reserve some onions for later use ,next add in ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves Next add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they become mushy so that it gets blended well with the onions and other spices.
- Next add in the cleaned chicken and fry for some 5 minutes mix everything together.
- Add in Chilli powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric powder and Salt mix well and cook for another till the chicken almost 90% done.
- Meanwhile cook the Basmati Rice till it is 90% ready and keep aside. Also in a cup take milk and soak in Saffron for about 30 mins and set aside. Also prepare the Dum I used the traditional method for keeping Dum. Chop in Mint and Coriander leaves and set them ready as well.
- Keep all the ingredients ready and now let’s assemble everything in a big vessel for Dum cooking.
- In the Dum Vessel plate the chicken Masala in the bottom as a next layer plate in half of the Basmati Rice.
- Next sprinkle the Saffron Milk and the top some mint and Coriander leaves and some fried onions .Next add in the rest of the cooked rice as a next layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining saffron milk, fired onion and mint, coriander leaves, close the vessel with a tight lid and put the Dum on the top of the lid. Let it rest for another half an hour and then remove the dum and wait for another 10 mins to open the lid everything would have cooked beautifully and perfectly by now releasing a nice aroma, Fluff it carefully with a fork and enjoy the meal with Family
- The authentic Dum Biryani is usually prepared using Charcoal In Dum, however in cities we cannot do the same hence we can do that by place Dosa tawa on stove and the cooking pot on top of that and then keeping a heavy vessel on top of that.
- Tastes best with Raita and Chicken Fry
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.