Chow Chow Kootu Recipe | Chayote squash kootu with step by step pictures .Cooking with Chayote happened very rarely in my kitchen as hubby is not very fond of this veggies . But I wanted to include all vegetables at least once in a while in our food. So I picked one Chayote during the weekly shopping and I tried this kootu and I liked it .So now let’s see how to prepare chow chow kootu.
- Banana Blossom stir Fry | Vaizhaipoo Poriyal
- Ivy Gourd Fry | Kovakai varuval
- Bitter Gourd Chips / Fry
3. Add the ground coconut to the cooked chow chow and mix well.
4. Bring it to a boil after adding the ground coconut masala .Finally prepare the tadka with the ingredients mentioned under the “To Temper” section and switch off the flame.
Chow Chow Kootu | Chayote squash kootu
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Pressure Cooker
- Chow chow – 1
- Moong Dal – ¼ cup
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt as needed
To Grind :
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
To Temper :
- Coconut oil / any cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli-2
- Curry Leaves a spring
- Peel the skin of chow chow and chope them into cube sized pieces. In a pressure cooker add the chopped chow chow along with Moong Dal, Chilli powder, Turmeric powder and Salt.
- Add 1 cup of water mix well and pressure cook for about 3 whistles. Wait till the pressure is released by its own and then open the cooker. Grind the ingredients mentioned in the “To Grind” section by add little water to a fine paste.
- Add the ground coconut to the cooked chow chow and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil after adding the ground coconut masala .Finally prepare the tadka with the ingredients mentioned under the “To Temper” section and switch off the flame.
· Use coconut oil for preparing this kootu don’t skip it.