Bitter gourd chips or Karela Chips is an easy and delicious crispy snack. It also goes well as a lunch side dish.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Bitter gourd Chips | Karela Fry
- Bitter gourd – 2 nos
- Besan flour – 3 tbsp
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Corn flour – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Amchoor powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Water as needed to sprinkle in the bitter gourd
- Curd – 2 tbsp optional Check notes
- Chop the bitter gourd in to thin slices (The thinner the slices are the crispier the chips).Remove the thick seeds in the bitter gourd.
- To the chopped bitter gourd slices add in Besan flour, Rice flour and Corn flour shake well for even mixing and then add in Red Chilli powder, amchoor powder ,Turmeric powder and Salt shake well once again sprinkle little water and mix everything so that the masala is evenly coated over the bitter gourd .Check for taste and adjust if anything is required .Allow it to rest for 10 mins
- Heat the oil for deep frying ,check by dropping a small piece and check if the right temperature is reached for frying .Drop in the bitter gourd pieces in batch ,and don’t overcrowd fry in a medium flame.
- Once the bitter gourd turns crispy and fully cooked remove from the hot oil and drain in a paper towels to remove the excess oil. Serve hot
- Bitter gourd fry goes very well as a lunch side dish. It can also be served as snack along with a cup of chai.
- If you want to remove the bitterness in bitter gourd after slicing and removing the seeds mix with 2 tbsp of curd and allow it to rest for 10 mins it will start leaving water. Squeeze out the excess water and then continue with the rest of the process.
- If you prefer the bitter gourd chips more like bajji add in extra 2 tbsp of Besan flour.
- Serve Bitter gourd chips with bise bele bath or Curd Rice .The combo is just awesome.