Date Caramels is a delicious vegan caramel made with just 5 ingredients. It is so easy to make and perfect for gifting. The best thing is they taste similar to regular caramels.
Date Caramel is an easy just 5 ingredient sweet treat. They are vegan, gluten-free, keto, and paleo-friendly delicacies. While regular caramel calls for heavy cooking with constant stirring and temperature checks. This is a no-cook dish.
What is a caramel
Caramel is a type of candy prepared by cooking sugar. The sugar is browned carefully to a temperature. It is then cooked to perfection until a selected consistency.
Dates - This is the main ingredient. We can use Medjool dates. Use fresh and soft dates. If the dates are hard soak them in warm water for 15 mins and then use them.
Almond Butter - You can use any nut butter you prefer. I am using my homemade Almond Butter.
Almond Flour - Helps bring the caramel together and hold the shape of the caramel.
Vanilla Extract - Using it for flavor.
Salt - Sprinkle in sea salt over the caramel for a fantastic flavor. Highly recommend.
Yes, you can. Peanut butter or even hazelnut butter works well for caramel.
Date caramel tends to lose its shape once they are out of the fridge. So it stays best when stored in the freezer.
Not necessarily, soak the dates only if they are hard. else you can blend them directly.
How to make Date Caramels
Pit and remove the seeds from the dates. Chop them into small pieces.
In a food processor add the chopped dates. Also add the Almond Butter, Almond Flour, Vanilla Extract, and Salt.
Blend until the ingredients are combined and come together.
Use a square baking pan lined with parchment paper. Let the parchment paper has some extras. So that we can use it as a sling to remove the caramels from the pan once they are set. Transfer the ground caramel to the baking pan.
Spread evenly. Freeze them for 30 mins.
After 30 mins. Remove from the pan.
Sprinkle in some sea salt flakes and slice them into squares and serve immediately. You can also pack the caramel on parchment paper for gifting.
Date Caramels are now ready
Tips & Variations:
- Date caramels are made with natural ingredients and hence they may not be as sturdy as regular caramels.
- We may have to store date caramels in the freezer until use.
- You can also dip the caramel in melted chocolate so that the caramel is fully coated with chocolate. This helps in holding the shape of the caramel a little.
- Always use a sharp knife to cut the caramel to prevent it from fudging.
- You can also top the caramels with some nuts and seeds if you prefer.
- For a nut-free version, you may replace almond butter with sunflower butter. Instead of Almonds flour, you can also use solid coconut oil.
- Instead of vanilla, you may also use other flavors as you prefer. Coconut extract or even Almond extract works well.
Cut the caramels into squares and wrap them on parchment paper. Wrapping in paper prevents the caramel from sticking to each other. Makes a perfect edible gift option.
Store them in the freezer in an airtight container for a longer shelf life. Stays good for up to 1 month.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Food Processor
- 1 cup Medjool Dates around 15-16 dates
- 1.5 tbsp Almond Butter
- 3 tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Salt a pinch
- Pit and remove the seeds from the dates.
- Chop them into small pieces.
- In a food processor add the chopped dates. Also add the Almond Butter, Almond Flour, Vanilla Extract, and Salt.
- Blend until the ingredients are combined and come togther.
- Use a square baking pan lined with parchment paper. Let the parchment paper has some extras. So that we can use it as a sling to remove the caramels from the pan once they are set. Transfer the ground caramel to the baking pan. Spread evenly.
- Freeze them for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins. Remove from the pan sprinkle in some sea salt flakes and slice them into squares and serve immediately. You can also pack the caramel on parchment paper for gifting.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.