There used to be a Granda ma near my house selling this drumstick flowers, other than that I have never seen in shops or supermarkets selling drumstick flowers. So just for the sake of buying from the grandma I bought this drumstick flower from her and tried this pulao and since then it been our family favorite and I cook this rice very often these days. Now let's see how to prepare Drumstick Blossom Rice.
Here is a closer look at the Drumstick flowers.
2. Next, add in the sliced onions and saute till glossy. Meanwhile, soak in the drumstick flowers in water for 15 mins and then add it to the vessel. Sauté for 5 mins in a low flame. It will get cooked fast.
3. Mix well and cook for few mins and then add in the Salt, Turmeric powder, Fennel powder, and Garam Masala. Mix well and fry for 2 mins and then add in the cooked Rice.
4. Mix without breaking the grains and finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#99
Drumstick Flowers Pulao | Murunga poo Sadham | Moringa Flowers Rice
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cooked Rice – 1 cup
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Cashew nuts – 8
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Onion – 1
- Drumstick Flowers – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Fennel Seeds powder- ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat a Vessel with Oil once it’s hot add in the Fennel Seeds, Mustard seeds and channa Dal let it splutter, and then add in the green chilli and crushed ginger garlic and saute for few secs. Next, add in the cashew nuts and curry leaves. Cook till the cashews turn golden brown.
- Next, add in the sliced onions and saute till glossy. Meanwhile, soak in the drumstick flowers in water for 15 mins and then add it to the vessel. Sauté for 5 mins in a low flame. It will get cooked fast.
- Mix well and cook for few mins and then add in the Salt, Turmeric powder, Fennel powder, and Garam Masala. Mix well and fry for 2 mins and then add in the cooked Rice.
- Mix without breaking the grains and finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
· You can also use Basmati Rice. Make sure the rice is cool before adding it to the drumstick flowers.
Now this is something that is absolutely new to me ! We make a dry curry with the drumstick flowers but never gone beyond that . The fliers are delicious but we normally boil them as they are quite bitter . I see that you haven’t boiled them . Don’t they taste bitter in rice or the rest of the ingredients cover up the bitterness ?
I have to admit that these would be really very nutritious , and interesting as well .
Sure an interesting pulao. I didn't know these flowers are used in cooking. What kind of flavor does these flowers add to the rice?
Wow,I didn’t know drumstick flower is used for cooking. The dish sounds nice and flavorful. Good one
Wow! I have only ever heard that the drumstick flowers are used in cooking. This is such a fantastic recipe.
We do get this occasionally in farmers market, but I have used it for dry saute and rasam. This pulao recipe is amazing. I will try this next time I get the poo.
This is such a brilliant idea to use the flowers in pulao. We usually make poriyal with it back in periyakulam. We had a tree so we didn't have to buy them.
This is fantastic Sharmila! Never tried using the flowers though I knew its very healthy. Such a healthy and easy one to make.
a flavourful pulao. didnt know the flowers cooked were cooked though.. I make murunga idli -dosa podi with the leaves, but these flowers is interesting...
I have never used drumstick leaves or flowers and would love to try this, though I doubt I might source the flowers here. The pulao really looks very fragnant and delicious
This sounds so flavourful and rich in aroma.Looks so good!! Have not heard about drumstick flowers in rice dish.