Kerala Puttu Recipe | How to make Soft Rice Flour Puttu | Steamed Rice Flour Cake | Kuzha Puttu Recipe with step by step pictures.Whenever we think of puttu the first thing that comes in mind is Kerala, Yes you heard me right God’s own country is the best place to have puttu. If you happen to visit kerala , you can find many small breakfast shops is Kerala they prepare piping hot Puttu and serve with Kadala Curry, It is a pure bliss to watch them prepare puttu.
Check out the Kappa Puttu, RagiPuttu, and Wheat Flour puttu recipes too. Now let’s see how to prepare kappa puttu.
4. After 5 mins remove the top part and invert it, push through the back side of the lid such that the cooked Puttu comes out. Serve hot with banana and Sugar.
Puttu can be served with Coconut, Banana and Sugar
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Water as needed
- Salt a pinch
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- In a bowl add in Rice flour to this add in Salt and mix well. Now add Water little by little and then start kneading the Rice flour. The consistency should be in such a way that if you hold the dough together it should maintain its shape.
- Next take the puttu vessel and fill the first layer with coconut and then Rice flour. Fill with alternate layers of coconut and Rice flour or as desired.
- Once it is filled. Add Water to the base of the puttu vessel and allow it to boil. Then add in the top part of the puttu vessel, close the lid and cook for 10-12 mins. When the stream starts coming through the lid simmer it for 2 mins and the switch off the flame. After 5 mins remove the top part and invert it, push through the back side of the lid such that the cooked Puttu comes out. Serve hot with banana and Sugar.
- If you don’t have a puttu maker, you can also use the crumbled flour directly and steam cook in an idli cooker. Otherwise try getting a Chiratta Puttu Maker, It is easily available online.
- Puttu can be served with Coconut, Banana and Sugar .In Kerala It is usually served with Kadala Curry.
- Perfect for a filling breakfast.
- You can also make kolukattai (Dumplings) out of the puttu flour and steam cook. My mom usually does this way as it will be really easy if we are running out of time.
Leave a Reply