Egg dosa is a protein rich breakfast to start a day. Dosai is topped with egg and cooked to perfection. It goes well with chutney and sambar.
Egg dosa is one of the popular street food and breakfast in many south Indian states especially Tamil Nadu.
Usually the ones we get in Road sides shops are with just eggs, Pepper and Salt. I have included some more vegetables as I prefer it colourful and more veggies more fun. Now let’s see how to prepare Egg dosa or omelette dosa
Egg - Use fresh room temperature eggs.
Salt and Pepper powder - For flavoring the dosa , you may use more cumin powder or red chilli flaks if you prefer more spice.
Vegetables - I am using finely chopped onions grated carrots and coriander leaves as toppings. You can also use more veggies if you prefer. Capsicum or even tomatoes
Oil - I prefer using gingelly oil for dosa. It tastes good and perfect. You may also ghee if you prefer.
Idli Dosa Batter - It is the base for any dosa.
Compared to simple plain dosa, this egg dosa has more protein. So its good and healthy indeed
egg dosa batter is pretty much the same as the one which we use for plain dosa. One batter but we have plenty of options.
How to make Egg Dosa
1.Break open the egg in a bowl.
2. Take Pepper powder and Salt. you can also some red chilli flakes if you prefer extra spicy.
3. Add pepper and salt to egg
4. Mix well untill combine.
5. Heat a iron tawa or griddle and pour a ladle full of batter and spread to form a slightly thick dosa. If the dosa is very thin it might tear.
6. Now pour the beaten egg and spread a little.
7. Now sprinkle the grated carrot, finely chopped Onions and Coriander leaves.
8. Drizzle oil around and cook for 30 secs or until its cooked in medium flame. You can also cover and cook if you prefer.
9. Flip the dosa and cook for another 30 secs.
10. Super Special and delicious Egg Dosai is now ready to serve.
Egg dosa goes well with Chutney and Sambar
Tips & Variations
You can also prepare a plain egg dosa if you dont prefer adding extra vegetables.
A dash of Idli Podi (Gun Powder) will also spice it up.
As such we dont have any special egg dosa batter. We repurpose our dosa batter.
We can even add the potato filling like our masala dosa to this egg dosai. I dont have the egg masala dosa recipe as of now in blog will try to share in Instagram if possible.
Serve hot with chutney and Sambar. It makes a perfect breakfast or dinner.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 Egg
- ¼ tsp Pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Idli dosa batter
- 1 tbsp Grated Carrot
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Coriander leaves to garnish
- Break open the egg in a bowl.
- Take Pepper powder and Salt. you can also some red chilli flakes if you prefer extra spicy.
- Add pepper and salt to egg
- Mix well untill combine.
- Heat a dosa tawa and pour a ladle full of batter and spread to form a slightly thick dosa. If the dosa is very thin the dosa might tear.
- Now to the dosa pour the beaten egg and spread a little.
- Now sprinkle the grated carrot, finely chopped Onions and Coriander leaves over the dosa.
- Drizzle oil over the dosa and cook for 30 secs or until its cooked in medium flame. You can also cover and cook if you prefer.
- Flip the dosa and cook for another 30 secs.
- Egg Dosa is now ready to serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2017. I have updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and video now.