Prawn fritters or Iral vadai is a deep fried fritter made with shrimp and other aromatics. It is an easy to make kids friendly snack.
Prawn Vadai | Prawn Fritters | Eral vadai is an easy to make snack. If you have already cleaned the prawn and then you get this easy snack in just 10 mins.
All you need is prawn, coconut, onions, and a few other aromatics. You can also prepare the patties and freeze them. Fry as and when required. No need to thaw the frozen patties as well. You can fry them as it is.
Prawn - Any variety of prawns or shrimp works well. Make sure to wash and clean the shrimp well with water and turmeric powder. Also, devein them before cooking.
Coconut - Use freshly grated coconut if you have access to the best taste. It adds a unique taste to the fritters.
Spice Powders - In goes the basic red chili, Tuemric powder for flavor
Ginger - good for digestion and a main ingredient for any nonveg food.
Rice Flour - This is the binding agent. It keeps the fritters in shape and prevents them from disintegrating while deep frying.
Fennel Seeds, Curry Leaves, cilantro - We add all these aromatics for flavor.
Oil - Use any cooking oil for deep frying the fritters. I prefer coconut oil. Groundnut oil also works well.
Which type of prawns taste best for fritters?
Small variety of pink prawns are the tastiest. However, you may also use tiger prawns or any other variety.
Can we avoid deep frying?
Instead of deep frying you can either bake or airfrye the fritters. Shallow frying also works well. Prawn gets cooked easily and hence you can try different approaches.
How to clean prawns?
This is a very common question I get for any prawn recipe. It is quite simple, just that it requires some practice and patience. First, cut the shell and remove them along with the head. Next, you can remove the tail if you prefer. Next, draw a slit on the back of the shrimp and remove the black vein and you are done. Repeat these steps and then wash the shrimp well to remove any dirt particles with water and turmeric powder.
How to make Prawn Vadai
1.Clean and de-vein the prawn and set it ready. In a blender add the prawns
Next add garlic , ginger , shallots and grated coconut.
Also add the spice powders.
Blend everything to a coarse paste.
2. Now take the ground mix to a big bowl and add in the Rice flour, Chopped onions, Coriander leaves, Curry Leaves, and Fennel Seeds.
Finally add rice flour and Combine all the ingredients evenly.
3. Divide the dough into equal sized small shaped balls and flatten them.
Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot drop in 4-5 Vada’s per batch and start frying.
4. Fry until the fritters are crisp and golden brown. Remove them from oil and drain them in paper towels to absorb excess oil. Yummy shrimp vadai is now ready.
Tastes good with Rice or as a Snack!!
Tips & Variations
- Do not flip the prawn fritters immediately after dropping them in the oil they might get crumbled. Hence give some time to set and then flip and cook.
- Freeze the shaped fritters for 20-30 mins.
- Freezing helps the fritters to hold their shape well and prevent them from getting disintegrated while frying.
- Never overcrowd while frying it might again break the vadai.
- Always clean and devein the shrimp before cooking.
- Make sure you wipe the shrimp clean without moisture before adding them to the blender.
- If it has more moisture, it will be difficult to shape the fritters.
- I have shown the stovetop method in this recipe. However, you can also prepare the baked Prawn Fritters or even air-fry them for a less calorie variation and guilt-free version.
Goes well as a snack with some tomato sauce or Mayonaise. You can also serve them as an appetizer for any potluck or party.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Prawn Fritters | Prawn Vadai Recipe | Eral vadai
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan
- ¼ kg Prawn
- ¼ cup Freshly grated Coconut
- 10 Shallots
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 5 Garlic pods
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 Onion
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- ¼ cup Coriander Leaves
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Rice flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Clean and de-vein the prawn and set it ready. In a blender add the prawns, and coconut along with all the ingredients mentioned in the “To grind” table.
- Now take the ground mix to a big bowl and add in the Rice flour, Chopped onions, Coriander leaves, Curry Leaves, and Fennel Seeds. Combine all the ingredients evenly.
- Divide the dough into equal sized small shaped balls and flatten them. Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot drop in 4-5 Vada’s per batch and start frying.
- Fry until the fritters are crisp and golden brown. Remove them from oil and drain them in paper towels to absorb excess oil. Yummy shrimp vadai is now ready.
- The cooking time may depend on the size of vada you make.
- Mine was very small bite sized vada’s as my little one prefers it this way. So Adjust the shape as per your preference.
- Frying the vada in coconut oil makes it more delicious.
- Add in few curry leaves and Red Chilli in the oil while frying it brings in a nice flavour.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used
Note: This post is originally from 2017. I have now updated it with a new Recipe card, Pictures, and video now.