Banana flowers fritters /Vazhaipoo vadai is my favourite snack .Just love to have it with a cup of Adrak chai. In fact the banana flowers added give this vadai a unique taste. It has so many health benefits too. Enjoy your evening with this vadai and a cup of chai.
In fact cleaning banana flower is bit time consuming so it is better to clean it and refrigerate when we get time.
Banana Flower Fritters | Vazhaipoo Vadai
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Banana flower Vazhaipoo – 1 cup chopped
- Channa Dal – ½ cup
- Onion – ½ finely chopped
- Dry Red chilli – 2
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Rice Flour -1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl take the channa Dal allow to soak in water for an hour. After that in a blender add in the soaked channa dal, Dry red chilli and fennel seeds and grind it to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Transfer the ground dal to a mixing bowl and in the same blender pulse the chopped Vazhaipoo /Banana flower once or twice. Add that along with the dal in the mixing bowl. To this add in finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, Curry leaves, Rice flour and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients well and the shape it into vadai/patties and set aside. Heat a pan with oil for deep frying.
- Check the oil consistency by dropping a small piece of dough in hot oil. If it raises up then it is the right consistency. Drop the patties in 3-4 per batch and fry in medium flame till both the sides are brown and crisp. Drain it in paper towels and serve hot.
- Always use fresh banana flower in cooking.
- While selecting banana flower in shop also if it is too much dark on the edges avoid buying that as it is old and will be bitter. It is my personal experience.
- Soaking the chopped flowers in butter milk allow it to stay fresh and prevent it from getting bitter.
- Add onions only before preparing vadai otherwise it might leave water and vadai will drink more oil.
- Cook in medium flame, if cooked in high flame the outer part will get crisp soon but the inner part will remain un-cooked.