Radbri/Rabri is a royal dessert which is prepared by slow cooking milk and then collecting the Milk Cream and then flavoured with dry fruits and Saffron. It is also used in many other desserts like RasMalai, Rasgulla, Malpua .It is usually had after a heavy meal .As it is prepared using milk solids it is high in calories so perfect way to end a fast. And a great idea for an iftar party .It is so creamy rich and delicious. Many variations can be made in this however I have prepared a basic version. Now let’s get started!!
4. Mix well and then add in Sugar and Cardamom Powder Simmer for another two minutes .By now the Radbi would have formed and becomes slightly yellow in colour. Now bring all the collected malai or Cream to the reduced milk and mix well and then switch off the flame.
Serve warm or chilled. I prefer it chilled.
Rabri | Rabdi
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Full Fat Milk – 1 lit
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Saffron – 10 strands
- Almonds – 8
- Pistachios -10
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- Soak the Almonds and Pistachios in hot water for about 30 mins. After so mins peel the skin and milk thin slices out of them and set aside. In a thick bottomed pan add in the full fat milk and bring it to boil.
- Once it comes to a boil simmer the flame .The milk will start forming the Malai/Cream layer. With the help of a ladle move it towards the sides of the pan and let it be there.
- Continue collecting the Malai/Cream layer till the milk thickens and reduced to almost less than half of its original quantity. Now add in the Sliced Almonds, Pistachios and Saffron.
- Mix well and then add in Sugar and Cardamom Powder Simmer for another two minutes .By now the Radbi would have formed and becomes slightly yellow in colour. Now bring all the collected malai or Cream to the reduced milk and mix well and then switch off the flame.
- Don’t Stir Continuously. If so the Malai Layer will not be formed. Allow the milk to stand for some time and then stir occasionally.
- But make sure the milk is not burned. Using a thick bottomed pan will be a better choice.
- The Final quantity of Rabdi will be ¼ th of the original quantity.
- Serve warm or chilled. And I prefer it chilled.