Ragi Buttermilk Recipe | Finger Millet Buttermilk | Millet Recipes with step by step pictures and video. Ragi Buttermilk is a nutritious and healthy drink. It can be had as a breakfast or as dinner. This keeps us full for a long time as it is rich in fiber. It is also called as Ragi Ambli in Karnataka. Now let's see how to prepare Ragi Buttermilk.
What is Ragi
Ragi which is also known as finger millet is a cereal that is widely seen in African and Asian countries.
It has high cooling properties and is rich in fiber and hence it keeps us full for a longer time. Finger Millet is an age-old crop.
It is also known as Finger Millet in English. Ragi in Kannada, Telugu and Hindi. It is kezhvaragu in Tamil.
What is Ambli
Ambli is a summer drink or porridge which is very popular in the state of Karnataka, India. The drink with prepared with Ragi Flour usually. It is then cooked along with water and finally, we add beaten buttermilk. It is good for keeping our body cool during the hot summer.
How to make easy Buttermilk
Buttermilk is very good for summer. We can prepare it easily by adding water in Curd or Yogurt and bringing it to a thinner consistency. Beat well to avoid if any lumps.
You can also prepare by adding Lemon or Vinegar to milk and curdling it.
Yet I always prefer the first method. I find it easy and quick.
Ragi with Buttermilk
Ragi takes time to digest and we usually recommend avoiding heavy food in the winter. However, in summer, it is highly recommended to cool down the body.
Ragi or Finger millet along with Buttermilk is just perfect both have cooling properties. It helps in keeping the body hydrated and we also dilute and cook the ragi which makes it a perfect summer food.
Ragi malt recipe with buttermilk
Malt is a drink that is usually prepared with any cereal. The sweeter version of Ragi malt is also very popular and I love to have it as a breakfast. It keeps the tummy full for a longer hour.
Ragi Malt with buttermilk is again a healthy drink. This is also as popular as the sweetened version.
It has various health benefits. Ragi has high fiber content and rich in calcium. It also helps in blood purification.
How to Prepare Ragi Butter Milk ,Pictorial
1. In a saucepan add in ¾ cup of water, to this add in ¼ cup of ragi flour. Mix well.
2. Mix such that the flour is completely dissolved, and no lumps remain. Now switch on the stove and keep cooking in a low flame.
3. The mix will get thick and glossy. Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once it's thick and the color changes, Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool down and then add in 1.5 cups of buttermilk. Add 1 cup of water if you prefer it to be thinner.
4. Mix well so that the ragi and buttermilk blend completely without any lumps. Next, add in the required salt.
5. Mix well and set aside. Heat a pan with oil once it's hot add in the Mustard seeds let it splutter.
6. Next add in the cumin seeds and hing/ Asafoetida. Pour the tadka over the prepared buttermilk and mix well. Garnish with few curry leaves and serve.
Makes a healthy and filling drink.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- ¾ cup Water
- ¼ cup Ragi Flour
- 1½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Water Optional
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- Hing / Asafoetida a generous pinch
- 3 or 4 Curry Leaves
- In a saucepan add in ¾ cup of water, to this add in ¼ cup of ragi flour. Mix well.
- Such that the flour is completely dissolved, and no lumps remain. Now switch on the stove and keep cooking in a low flame.
- The mix will get thick and glossy. Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once its thick and the colour changes, Switch off the flame. Allow it to cool down and then add in 1.5 cups of butter milk. Add 1 cup of water if you prefer it to be more thin.
- Mix well so that the ragi and buttermilk blends completely without any lumps. Next add in the required Salt.
- Mix well and set aside. Heat a pan with oil once its hot add in the Mustard seeds let it splutter.
- Next add in the cumin seeds and hing/ Asafoetida. Pour the tadka over the prepared butter milk and mix well. Garnish with few curry leaves and serve.
- You can use ginger and green chillies in the tadka for flavour.
- A Perfect Summer drink.