Ragi malt is a healthy porridge prepared with Ragi. It can be prepared in a less time and can be had even for breakfast
Ragi Malt Recipe | Healthy Ragi Porridge Recipe | How to prepare Ragi Malt | FingerMillet Porridge. FingerMillet is a powerful millet, it is very rich in nutrients and aids in weight loss. You may prepare Ragi malt in a very little time and can be had even for breakfast. It is so filling. Ragi malt is also a toddler-friendly food. The aroma of cardamom makes it more flavourful.
You can use either Palm Jaggery or Jaggery as the sweetener. Adjust it as per your taste preference.
What is Ragi Malt:
Ragi Malt is a traditional beverage prepared with Ragi Flour, Water, and Milk. It is usually flavored with cardamom and sweetened with any Palm Sugar.
It is rich in fiber and wholesome. The Malt is filling and nutritious too. Indeed one can have this daily or even alternate days.
Ragi malt ingredients
Ragi Flour - Use sprouted ragi flour or the regular ones.
Water - We dissolve the ragi flour in water and then bring them to the porridge consistency.
Milk - Gives a creamy texture to the milk.
Jaggery - Use powdered organic Jaggery. Organic Jaggery will be impurity or dirt free and hence it's safe and easy to use in ragi milk. If using normal Jaggery, you may have to melt them in water. Strain and remove the impurities and then use them.
Cardamom Powder - Gives a heavenly flavor to the ragi malt. If using the whole cardamom you may crush and then use.
Nuts - Use any nuts of your choice to garnish the ragi malt. My personal favorite is crushed Almond and Pistachios.
Difference between ragi Malt and ragi ambli
Ragi malt is a sweet version and ragi ambli is a savory version. In Ragi Ambi instead of milk and Jaggery powder, we add buttermilk and salt. Cook the ragi powder with water and then cool down. Once cool down add buttermilk required salt. You can also add in green chili, onion, and a few curry leaves.
How to prepare Ragi flour?
Dry roast the finger millet until it slightly changes in color. Allow it to cool down and then grind to a fine powder. Let it cool and then sieve and store. Use as and when needed for preparing any porridge or malt.
You may use sprouted ragi to prepare sprouted ragi powder.
Instant Ragi Malt Powder
Mix in ragi flour, Palm sugar or Jagger powder, and cardamom powder and store. You may use this as an instant ragi malt drink powder. You may just cook the powder with water and then add milk for a quick ragi drink.
How to Prepare Ragi Malt , Pictorial
1. In a vessel add 2 tbsp of Ragi powder to this add-in ½ cup of water mix well without any lumps.
2. In a saucepan add in the ragi mixture, next add in 1 ½ cups of water and mix well. Let it cook in a medium flame for 15 mins or till it becomes slightly thick.
3. At this stage add in the Palm Jaggery and Cardamom, Mix well.
4. Next add in the Milk cook for another 5 mins on a low flame and switch off. Garnish with some nuts and serve.
I like my Malt when its mildly hot and garnished with nuts.
Tips & Variations
- Use Buttermilk and salt instead of Milk and Jaggery for a savory version of the ragi drink.
- For a vegan version of the ragi recipe, you may use coconut Milk or Almond Milk. Both tastes are equally good.
- It is a perfect drink for weight watchers and makes a perfect ragi malt recipe for weight loss.
- Ragi Malt benefit - Good for digestion, diabetes, good for hair, and many more.
- This ragi porridge or ragi ganji recipe makes a wholesome breakfast along with a few cut fruits or Nuts.
If serving for breakfast serve the Malt along with Nuts and cut fruits. If serving as a snack it goes very well on its own.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Ragi Malt Recipe | Healthy Ragi Porridge Recipe | How to prepare Ragi Malt
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 tbsp Ragi Powder
- ¼ cup + 1 ½ cups Water
- 2.5 tbsp Jaggery Powder
- 2 Cardamom pods or ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ cup Milk
- to garnish Nuts optional
- In a vessel add in 2 tbsp of Ragi powder to this add in ½ cup of water mix well without any lumps.
- In a saucepan add in the ragi mixture, next add in 1 ½ cups of water and mix well. Let it cook in a medium flame for 15 mins or till it becomes slightly thick.
- At this stage add in the Palm Jaggery and Cardamom, Mix well.
- Next add in the Milk cook for another 5 mins in a low flame and switch off. Garnish with some nuts and serve.
- Makes a filling and healthy breakfast option.
- Can add more milk if you prefer.
- Adjust the sweeter as per your preference.
- Palm Jaggery can also be replaced with Jaggery.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.