Tangdi kabab is a famous restaurant style grilled chicken drumstick with some special spices It is usually served with green chutney.
Most of us have a fancy liking towards restaurant foods. It usually looks and tastes so appealing. I often try recreating restaurant-style foods at the home. Sometimes I get it to near perfection and without fail, I document those dishes here.
Tangdi kabab is one such dish that I have fancied often. It is one of the best crowds pleasing or party appetizer.
What is Tangdi Kabab:
Tangdi kabab is a popular restaurant-style dish made with Chicken Legs or drumsticks. Tangdi literally translates to Legs and Kabab is grilled food.
How to prepare Tangdi Kabab:
Traditionally Juicy chicken legs are cleaned well, and incretions are drawn on the legs. This helps the masalas to go deep inside the chicken and bring the best flavour.
After cleaning the chicken, it is marinated with special spices like besan , hung curd. Some restaurants even use Chat masala. The marinated chicken is left over night and then grilled just before serving.
Traditionally Tangdi kabab is prepared in tandoor grills, but today I have shared the stove top version.
How to serve Tangdi Kabab:
Usually the grill and kebab dishes taste best with Tandoori Green Chutney. Same applies to tangdi kabab serve with Green Chutney, also just before serving drizzle in some lemon juice on top of the chicken.
In restaurants it is served with green chutney, lemon wedges, Pickled Vegetables and sliced onions. Pickled vegetables are nothing, but vegetables soaked in a vinegar solution.
Variations in Tangdi Kabab:
The famous variation is the Afgani Murgh Tangdi kabab, which uses cheese, Milk, and cream along with other spices and then grilled.
How to prepare Tangdi Kabab in the oven:
In this recipe, I have shared the stove top method, but traditionally its grilled in tandoor ovens in restaurants. You can also bake or use the grill options in your ovens and replicate it.
For the oven, method preheat the oven at 200 Deg C for 10 mins and then in Gill mode bake at 200 Deg C for 30 min. After every 10 mins. Change the side and continue to the gill. Grill until the chicken is cooked and the color changes as the time may vary from oven to oven.
Ingredients for Tangdi Kabab :
The main variation and taste of the dish comes from the types of spices used for the Marination also make slits to the chicken legs so that the spices are throughout the chicken. Also marinating the chicken for 4 to 8 hours makes the meat get tender and it cooks really fast.
We dry roast and add besan flour or chickpea flour to the kabab it gives a delicious flavour when mix with hung curd and other spices.
Hung curd when mixed with the spices makes a creamy marinade also it balances the spices. Also it is much needed to make the chicken tender and juicy. It also helps the spices to stay intact and coat the chicken.
Adding oil along with spices makes the meat remain tender. Any type of oil can be used. I used peanut oil. But olive oil or even coconut oil can be used.
Similar Recipes in blog:
How to prepare Tangdi Kabab in stovetop,Pictorial:
- In a pan add in 2 tbsp of the Besan flour and dry roast it at a low flame until it gives a nice aroma. Switch off and set it aside.
2. In a bowl take about 8 chicken leg pieces or ½ kg chicken Traditionally chicken legs are used in the recipe in restaurants. Make slits in the chicken legs for the masala to get very well inside the chicken.
3. To the chicken add in the roasted besan flour, Along with Hung curd or thick curd.
4. Next add in ginger garlic paste and Garam Masala.
5. Along with them add Red Chilli powder, Required Salt, Oil and then finally chop a green chilli into small pieces and add.
6. Pour in the juice from ½ lemon. Now mix everything and Make sure the masala is coated evenly over the chicken. Allow it to marinate for about 4 hours to 8 hours.
7. Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of Oil preferably a cast iron pan, Once it’s hot add in the Marinated Chicken Pieces and cook at a low medium flame.
8. Flip and cook both the sides evenly at regular intervals. Cook till the chicken is cooked completely and switch off the flame. Tangdi Kabab is now ready.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE RECIPES:
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan
- 2 tbsp Besan Flour
- 8 Chicken Legs or use Chicken ½ kg
- ⅓ cup Hung curd
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Garam Masala
- Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- In a pan add in 2 tbsp of the Besan flour and dry roast it in a low flame until it gives a nice aroma. Switch off and set it aside.
- In a bowl take about 8 chicken leg pieces or ½ kg chicken Traditionally chicken legs are used in the recipe in restaurants. Make slits in the chicken legs for the masala to get very well inside the chicken.
- To the chicken add in the roasted besan flour, Along with Hung curd or thick curd.
- Next add in ginger garlic paste and Garam Masala.
- Along with them add Red Chilli powder, Required Salt, Oil and then finally chop a green chilli into small pieces and add.
- Pour in the juice from ½ lemon. Now mix everything and Make sure the masala is coated evenly over the chicken. Allow it to marinate for about 4 hours to 8 hours.
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of Oil preferably a cast iron pan, Once it’s hot add in the Marinated Chicken Pieces and cook in a low medium flame.
- Flip and cook both the sides evenly. Cook till the chicken is cooked completely and switch off the flame. Tangdi Kabab is now ready.
- Traditionally tangdi kabab is prepared only with chicken Legs. Tangdi means Leg.
- Also, usually, it's grilled. So, you can very well grill the chicken, however, it can be cooked on the stovetop as well.
- Goes very well with the green chutney.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply