chickpeas curry is an awesome Kurma to go with any Roti or Pulao. We prepare the curry by dry roasting the coconut and other spices.
Indian Style quick chickpea curry is common in my house. It is very easy to prepare as the only thing to remember is to soak the beans. Chickpea curry involves very less effort as the entire process is carried out in a pressure cooker. It is one of the easy curried chickpeas recipes. It is beginner friendly too.
Flavors of coconut blend with chickpeas and Indian spices and give a wonderful taste to this gravy. It tastes heavenly
Why you will love this recipe?
- This is an easy one pot beginner friendly curry.
- It goes well with Rice, Flatbreads, and many more.
- It is Vegan and Glutenfree.
- 20 mins one pot dish.
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans - I am using dried beans, hence I soaked them overnight and cooked them in a Pressure Cooker.
Onion- Use finely chopped red onion.
Tomato - I am using fresh tomatoes you may also use diced tomatoes.
Spice powders - I am using the basic Indian spice powders. They add a nice taste to the curry.
Coconut - Use freshly grated coconut or frozen coconut.
Oil - I prefer using groundnut oil for cooking. This is highly recommended and enhances the flavor quotient. You may use any oil for the tempering as you prefer.
Tadka - The tempering added gives a wonderful aroma to the curry. It enhances the taste and hence do not skip.
Can we make the chickpeas curry in Instant Pot?
You can easily do the same curry in Instant Pot. Follow the same instructions as how we cook in the Instant Pot. After closing the Instant Pot with the spice powders and garbanzo beans. Set 20 mins in high pressure and do a natural pressure release. Once you open the IP add the coconut paste and continue cooking in saute mode for another 5-7 mins and then finally add a tadka.
How to cook Chickpeas in Instant Pot?
These instant pot garbanzo beans are soft buttery and melt in the mouth. So easy to cook. All it needs is some soaking time and cooking time.
You can set manual cook time or use the preset timer as well. They require around 6 hours of soaking time and 20 mins of active cooking at high pressure followed by a natural pressure release. Drain the excess water and the chickpeas are now cooked to perfection.
Instant Pot Chickpeas are ready to add to any curry, hummus, or salad. You may also freeze them with the date noted on a ziplock bag.
How to make chickpea curry
1) Soak the Chickpeas overnight or for about 6 hours in water. Take the soaked chickpeas into a pressure cooker. Add in tomato, onion, Curry leaves, and Water, and pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles or till the chickpeas or cooked. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and then open the pressure cooker. Add in the Chilli powder, coriander powder, Salt, and Turmeric powder along with the cooked chickpeas in the pressure cooker itself. If required add water as needed to increase the gravy quantity.
2) Now in a blender add in the ingredients under “To grind” table along with little water and grind everything to form a fine paste. Now add in the ground coconut paste into the pressure cooker and mix well.
3) Keep the pressure cooker in a medium flame and cook till all the ingredients are combined ,and the gravy is thickened. In a tadka pan add in the ingredients under “To Temper” table and prepare a tadka and pour in the gravy.
chickpeas curry is now ready to serve.
Tips & Variations
- If you forget to soak your chickpeas, you can also soak them in hot water for about 3 hours and proceed.
- You may use fresh or frozen coconut.
- If using canned chickpeas you can skip the soaking part. PRessure cook in a medium flame for 2 whistles along with the spice powders and proceed.
- All the spice powders used in the curry as easily available in any Indian grocery store or Asian store.
- You may use the water that is reserved after soaking the chickpeas to knead chapati or any flatbread. It is nutritious and hence I avoid discarding them.
- It is an easy one pot chickpeas curry. Perfect for the busy work day.
Chickpeas curry goes well with roti, puri, Idly, Dosa, Appam, and Idiyappam. Tastes equally good with all.
Stays good in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may reheat them on the stovetop or microwave and serve along.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Channa gravy | chickpeas gravy
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Channa/Chickpeas
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Onion medium sized
- 1 Tomato medium sized
- 2 tbsp Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Corriander powder
- Salt To taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ cup Frshly Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Cumin/Jeera Seeds
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin/Jeera Seeds
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Soak the Chickpeas over night or about 6 hours in water , Take the soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker add in tomato , onion ,Curry leaves, Water and pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles or till the chick peas or cooked.
- Wait till the pressure get released all by itself and then open the pressure cooker and add in the Chilli powder ,coriander powder ,Salt and Turmeric powder along with the cooked chickpeas in the pressure cooker itself. If required some water also could be added to increase the gravy quantity.
- Now in a blender add in the ingredients under “To grind” table along with little water and grind everything to form a fine paste. Now add in the ground coconut paste into the pressure cooker and mix well.
- Keep the pressure cooker in a medium flame and cook till all the ingredients are combined ,and the gravy is thickened .In a tadka pan add in the ingredients under “To Temper” table and prepare a tadka and pour in the gravy. Tasty Chick peas gravy is ready.
- Chickpeas gravy can be served with roti, puri, Idly, Dosa, Appam, Idiyappam. It is a complete all-rounder. It tastes equally good with all.
- If you forget to soak you chick peas, you can also soak it in hot water for about 3 hours.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.