Pepper Chicken Curry has a unique taste and flavor. It has an earthy flavor from pepper and makes it a perfect blend of curry.
Pepper Chicken Curry Recipe in pressure cooker with step by step pictures. Pepper always has a unique taste and flavor among all the spices and it's my favourite too.
Chicken Curry is a very common curry in my house. Most of my Sunday mornings will have either chicken curry or mutton curry.
The best thing about this pepper chicken gravy recipe is we can serve it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is one of the comfortable 3 course meal main dishes.
Pepper Chicken Curry
I love to try different variations of chicken curry and Pepper chicken curry is one of my awesome find. Pepper has a rustic earthy taste. It is also very good for digestion and has a lot of medicinal properties.
Marinade - We marinate the chicken with lots of pepper, Curd/yogurt. The marinade tenderizes the chicken and makes it more flavorful.
Lemon - It balances the flavors and enhances the taste.
Oil - Use any cooking oil. I prefer groundnut oil or coconut oil.
Whole Spices - The spices add an amazing flavor to the chicken.
Chicken - Use fresh and cleaned chicken pieces. Always use pieces with juicy bone and flesh together. They are really good for chicken curry.
Onion & Tomato - They form the base of the curry. Saute the onions and tomatoes till they are soft and cooked.
Ginger garlic paste - Another mandatory ingredient for chicken curry. It adds so much flavor to the curry.
Spice powders - I am using Chilli Powder, Pepper Powder, Turmeric Powder, and Salt. Also for nonveg dishes Garam Masala too adds flavor. I am adding the above spice powders.
Cilantro - We garnish the Chicken Curry with cilantro. They smell amazing with Chicken Curry.
Chicken gets cooked easily to soft and tender in a pressure cooker. I usually cook for 4 whistles in high flame and then wait till the pressure releases on its own. Open the cooker after that, the chicken will have cooked perfectly at this stage. If using county chicken it might take up to 6-7 whistles.
We can also cook the same recipe in Instant Pot. Follow the same process as we did in a Pressure cooker until you add water. Then Close the Instant Pot turn the pressure value to the sealing position and set 5 mins in high pressure. Wait for 5 mins after the cooking time and then do a natural pressure release and open the Instant Pot. The chicken would have cooked perfectly.
How to make Pepper Chicken Curry
Wash and clean the chicken. Add the cleaned chicken to a mixing bowl. To this add pepper powder, Curd, Salt, and Lemon juice.
Combine well and let the chicken marinate for 30 mins.
Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Once it's hot add fennel seeds, cinnamon, and Star anise. Let it splutter. Next, add a sprig of curry leaves. Saute for a few secs.
Next, add the sliced onions and cook till the onions are soft.
Next, add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell leaves.
And then add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
Next, add the spice powders. I am using pepper powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt.
Combine and cook till the masala blends well. Next, add the marinated chicken.
Combine and cook for 2 mins. Next, add the required Water. Combine and then check for salt. Add if required.
Close the pressure cooker. Cook for 4 whistles on high flame. Wait till the pressure is released on its own and then open the cooker. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Black Pepper Chicken Curry is now ready to serve. Serve hot with Steamed Rice.
Tips & Variations
- Add water only up to 1 - 1.5 cups not more than that. Else the curry might be watery.
- You can also use freshly ground pepper powder for the curry.
- Make sure the onions and tomatoes are well-cooked before adding the chicken.
- You can also use Instant Pot for cooking the chicken curry instead of Pressure Cooker.
- Follow the same steps and cook for 5 mins in high-pressure mode. Wait for 10 mins and then do a pressure release. Tasty Instant Pot Pepper Chicken Curry is all set to serve.
- The same recipe can be prepared as pepper chicken masala . Reduce the amount of water added to ½ cup and cook till its thick to a semi gravy consistency.
- I also have another version of pepper dry chicken in the blog. Check that too if interested.
- pepper chicken gravy goes well to rice , idli , dosa , roti, appam or idiyappam.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Pepper Chicken Curry
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
To Marinate :
- ½ kg Chicken
- 2 tbsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp curd / Yogurt
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
Other ingredients :
- 2 Onion medium sized ( sliced)
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Tomato
- ½ tsp Pepper powder
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as needed
- 1.25 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- Wash and clean the chicken. Add the cleaned chicken to a mixing bowl. To this add pepper powder, Curd, Salt, and Lemon juice.
- Combine well and let the chicken marinate for 30 mins.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Once it's hot add fennel seeds, cinnamon, and Star anise. Let it splutter. Next, add a sprig of curry leaves. Saute for a few secs.
- Next, add the sliced onions and cook till the onions are soft.
- Next, add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell leaves.
- And then add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Next, add the spice powders. I am using pepper powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Combine and cook till the masala blends well. Next, add the marinated chicken.
- Combine and cook for 2 mins. Next, add the required Water combine and then check for salt. Add if required.
- Close the pressure cooker. Cook for 4 whistles on high flame. Wait till the pressure is released on its own and then open the cooker.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Pepper Chicken Curry is now ready to serve.
- Serve hot with Steamed Rice.
- Goes well with Idli ,Dosa ,Chapatti ,Puri or any Flat bread.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used