Channa masala or Chole masala is an authentic Punjabi dish, which is popular all over the world. Bhatura is the best combo with Chole.
Usually Tea bags are used with the Chole to enhance the colour of the dish.But I dint add it today.
As i like my chole the way it look 🙂
How to prepare Channa Masala
1) Soak the chickpeas/Chole in water overnight or about 6-7 hours. And cook the soaked Chole in pressure cooker along with salt and water for about 2-3 whistles. Strain it from water and keep it aside. Meanwhile chop the Onion and Tomato’s for grinding .grind all the ingredients in to grind table and make it a fine puree.
10) Now cook this in a low or medium flame for about 15 mins or until the Gravy thickens. Stir occasionally .Dont cover and cook.
Chole tastes best when served with bhatura. However it can also be served with any Indian flat bread.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Chole Masala | Channa Masala
- 1 cup Chickpeas/Channa - 1 cup
- 1 tsp coriander powder - 1 tsp
- ½ tsp red chilli powder - ¼ tsp
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- 1 tsp Chole masala - 1 tsp
- 1 tsp Amchur powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- 2 cup Water – 2 cups
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamon
- ¼ tsp Pepper Corns
- 1 Onion medium sized
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Green chili
- 4 clove Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- a1) Soak the chickpeas in water overnight or about 6-7 hours. And cook the soaked Channa in pressure cooker along with salt and water for about 2-3 whistles. Strain it from water and keep it aside. Meanwhile chop the Onion and Tomato’s for grinding. Grind all the ingredients in to grind table and make it a fine puree.
- Now take a pan and add oil, once it gets hot add in the ingredients in the to temper table. Make sure the whole spices are not burnt. Adjust the flame accordingly.
- Now add in the ground paste.
- Fry till the oil separates on the side and the raw smell leaves
- Take all the spice powders to be added to Chole Masala. Chilli powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric, Dry Mango Powder.
- Add in the Spice powders and fry for a min.
- Stir well so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Now add in the cooked Chickpeas
- Pour in the water .
- Now cook this in a low or medium flame for about 15 mins or until the Gravy thickens. Stir occasionally .Dont cover and cook.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.