Green Peas White Kurma or Vellai Kurma is very famous in restaurants. It is usually served along with Roti or Poori. It is Vegan and Gluten-Free
Vellai Kurma is a very famous restaurant style curry. It is usually served along with chapatti or Poori. It is very easy to make and can be prepared in less time.
The Wonder white masala does the magic in vellai kurma. Coconut and cashews make it rich. The Best thing about the gravy is it is Vegan
You can also use frozen or fresh green peas for cooking white kurma. Along with Green peas, we can also use a variety of vegetables. Carrot, Beans, Cauliflower, and Potato also go well with the kurma.
White Kurma is a famous Restaurant style base gravy. It uses coconut along with cashew nuts or Poppy seeds. It gives the gravy a very rich and delicious flavor. White Kurma is one of the signature dishes in the restaurants of Tamilnadu especially Saravana Bhavan.
You can use any vegetables in the gravy. A mix of vegetables or even legumes or lentils.
Vegan White Kurma
The best part of this gravy is it is Plant-based and Vegan. Makes it much loved by many. We can easily adapt it to suit our taste.
Variations in white Kurma
White Kurma has a strong flavor from the spices added for tempering. It gives a distinct flavor. The species added to make it different from the stews which are very famous in Kerala.
✔ Instead of coconut, We can also use Coconut milk
✔ We can use a mix of vegetables.
How to make White Kurma with Peas
1. In a blender add in the ingredients mentioned under “To Grind” section.
Grind to a fine paste by adding required water and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan once it heats up add in Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Curry leaves.
Next add in the chopped onions and saute till it turn glossy.
Then add in the ground coconut cashew paste along with required water. Bring it to kurma consistency. You can add 1.5 - 2 cups of water.
Add Required Salt. Combine and cook until the gravy boils. Let it simmer and cook for another 2 mins.
Next add cooked green peas. You can also use fresh or dried green peas. If using dried peas , Soak them overnight in water pressure cook for 3 whistles and then use.
Cook for another 2 mins and switch off the flame. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with chapatti or Poori
White Kurma goes well with Chapati, Poori, Roti, or any Flatbread. We can also serve it with appam or Idiyappam.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Green Peas White Kurma | Restaurant style Patani Vellai Kurma
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 cups Green Peas
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- Curry leaves a spring
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
To Grind :
- ½ cup Coconut
- 15 Cashew nuts
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon stick
- 2 Cardamom pod
- In a blender add in the ingredients mentioned under “To Grind” to a fine paste by adding 1 cup of water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan once it heats up add in Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Curry leaves.
- Next add in the chopped onions by adding the required salt till it turns glossy. Then add-in the ground coconut cashew masala.
- Mix well and add in the required consistency and bring it to boil in a very low flame. Next, add in cooked green peas.
- Mix well. Check for salt. Cook for another 2 mins and switch off the flame.
· You can also add veggies like carrot, beans, potato along with the green peas to make the kurma more colorful.
· Use Coconut oil or Peanut oil for a more flavourful kurma.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.