Cream of Mushroom Soup is a perfect winter delight with a crusty roll. It is creamy , gluten free and easy to put together in the Instant Pot. Makes an amazing dinner soup.
Winter and Soups are inseparable. Who doesn't love a cozy hot warm soup for the dinner ? They are light to go and a perfect starter. With Instant Pot the Creamy Mushroom Soup is easy to prepare in less time.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Mushroom cooked in a flavorful broth with spices and onion. The simmered soup is then blended and decked up with cream. Makes a serve for the cold Winter night.
Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
Instant pot cream of mushroom soup is creamy, soothing and easy to put together. The recipe is beginner friendly. All you have to do is to sauté the onions and mushrooms . Add the spices and seasonings and pressure cook the soup. after the pressure release blend the soup and add in the heavy cream and corn starch. An easy to put together dish. No complex steps or ingredients and we like to keep it very simple and it works. This is one of the easy pressure cooker soup recipes.
This is the vegetarian cream of mushroom soup . Adding some chicken strips might work too just in case if you are looking for more protein.
Mushroom - Use shiitake mushrooms, crimini mushrooms or Button Mushrooms.
Onion - Use red onions , I add a tsp of onion powder too . They give a nice flavor to the soup.
Oil - Use any cooking oil for sautéing the mushrooms. You can also use butter.
Spices and Seasonings - We use garlic powder, Onion powder, Black Pepper powder, dried thyme dried rosemary. You can also use fresh garlic if you prefer.
Liquids for the Soup - You can use water or any stock. Stock gives more flavor to the soup but they are high in sodium. so use homemade stock if possible. If using water adjust the seasonings if you find the soup blank for your taste.
Heavy Cream - Use heavy cream or half and half. For a vegan version use coconut cream.
Corn starch - Use corn starch for thickening the soup. You may skip if you do not prefer.
How to clean the Mushroom's ?
Mushrooms tend to have dirt particles in them. So always wash them well and then pat them dry with a damp cloth. Remove the hard stem ,little ones you may keep. You can then slice the mushrooms and they are good to use.
How to Prepare in Mushroom soup in Stove top ?
Just in case if you do not own the Instant Pot. You can easily prepare the soup in stove top too. Use a heavy bottomed pan , I suggest Dutch oven. Follow the recipe till you add the vegetable stock or the liquid .
Then close the Dutch oven and simmer in a low flame for 15-20 mins. After 20 mins add the heavy cream and corn starch and simmer of another 2 mins. Cream of Mushroom soup is easily ready in stove top. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve the soup warm.
How long to cook soup in pressure cooker ?
If using normal pressure cooker you can cook the soup for 3 whistles and then open after the natural pressure release. after this step follow the instructions in the recipe after opening the Instant Pot.
how to reheat soup in instant pot ?
You can reheat the soup in Instant pot by using the saute mode. If you have put them in the freezer. Thaw the soup and then heat . You should not add in the cream before if you are freezing the soup. Read the storage suggestions section for more details on how to freeze the soup.
How to Prepare Cream of Mushroom Soup
1.Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Add in 2 tsp of oil. Once it's hot add in 1 cup of sliced red onions.
2. Saute for a min and then add in 3 cups of sliced button mushrooms.
3. Saute for another 3 mins.
4. Add in dried rosemary, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Black pepper powder, dried thyme powder, and salt. Combine everything.
5. Add in 3 cups of Water or Vegetable stock. Combine everything and deglaze the Instant Pot.
6. Close the Instant Pot and set 5 mins in high pressure. Wait for a natural pressure release and then open the Instant Pot.
7. Using an immersion blender blend to a creamy soup consistency.
8. Add in ¾ cups of heavy cream. Combine everything. Let the soup simmer for a few more minutes.
9. Add in corn starch slurry to the soup. Combine 2 tbsp of corn starch with ¼ cup of water and add to the soup. Cook for another few minutes till the soup thickens and then switch off the Instant Pot.
10. Garnish the soup with fresh thyme and serve hot. Instant Pot cream of mushroom soup is now ready.
Tips & Suggestions
- For a richer soup use Chicken stock in place of Vegetable soup (if you can ) . For a lighter version you can go with the vegetable stock.
- I will use whichever is available when I make the soup. Worst case I go with water.
- Also you may garnish the soup with some parmesan too.
- For a vegan version you may replace heavy cream with coconut cream.
- You may also use shiitake mushrooms , crimini mushrooms too.
- You can also add in celery to the soup. It is a nice add on.
- In place of the heavy cream you may also use half and half.
The soup stays good for 5 days in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave and then serve. If you are freezing the soup, You can freeze them after you blend the soup with the immersion blender. I do not recommend adding the cream to the soup and then freezing.
Before you serve the soup you may reheat ,add cream and corn starch simmer and then serve. If you are freezing after adding the dairy (cream) the soup will get curdled as you reheat.
Serve the soup warm with bread or breadsticks. Garnish the sup with fresh thyme or parsley and serve. For extra spiciness if you prefer you may also sprinkle in come chili flakes.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Instant Pot 6 qt or Dutch Oven
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 cup Red Onion Sliced
- 3 cup Button Mushroom sliced
- ½ tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cup Water or Vegetable Stock
- ¾ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch Mix with ¼ cup water to form a slurry
- Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Add in 2 tsp of oil. Once it's hot add in 1 cup of sliced red onions.
- Saute for a min and then add in 3 cups of sliced button mushrooms.
- Saute for another 3 mins.
- Add in dried rosemary, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Black pepper powder, dried thyme powder, and salt. Combine everything.
- Add in 3 cups of Water or Vegetable stock. combine everything and deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot and set 5 mins in high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally and then open the Instant Pot.
- Using an immersion blender blend to a creamy soupy consistency.
- Add in ¾ cups of heavy cream. Combine everything. Let the soup simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add in corn starch slurry. Combine 2 tbsp of corn starch with ¼ cup of water and add to the soup. Cook for another few minutes till the soup thickens and then switch off the Instant Pot.
- Garnish the soup with fresh thyme and serve hot.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
When do you add the potatoes.